Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates and Poolside Plants

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates and Poolside Plants

Boron can be toxic for plants, so I was wondering if anybody using borates had experienced any issues with poolside plants.

Sorry if I don't respond right away, the board software refuses to send emails to my domain so I don't get notifications when replies are received.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borates and Poolside Plants

HI spcpool,
    welcome to TFP! I cant answer your question, but maybe someone will be along shortly that can.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

If your splash-out is limited and you are regularly watering your poolside plants with regular irrigation, then they should be OK due to the dilution of the splashed-out boron. If you were to water exclusively with the pool water, then that would be a problem for plants. See Pool water for house plants, BBB toxic to grass, and this document.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Your mail server is bounding the messages back to us. For example:

<troublefreepool.XYZZY@XYZZYpuppy.com>: host mail0.XYZZYpuppy.com[50.17.NNN.NNN]
    said: 550 5.1.1 <troublefreepool.XYZZY@XYZZYpuppy.com>: Recipient address
    rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table (in reply to RCPT TO
    command)
    [Some substitutions made to hide details.]

The same thing happens if I send the mail manually.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Unfortunately, I live in that arid environment and my landscaping is exclusively drought-tolerant plants that receive little to no irrigation at all. Sounds like boron would be a problem near the pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, you would be taking a risk. It might be OK, but it might not and we really can't tell you for sure either way. Do you really get that much splash-out? It all depends on the height and design of your coping. In our pool, we get hardly any splash-out at all. We have an overflow vault that has water go to the sewer but that's because we have an automatic electric safety cover. Then again, we don't have kids in the pool who could splash a lot and even intentionally push water out of the pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"