Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help me choose the right valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help me choose the right valve

These are the valves that I currently have for my deck jets:

I need to replace one (and will probably replace all of them), but I'm not sure what the best options are. I've seen a lot of recommendations for Jandy NeverLube valves, but I'm not sure if they are over-kill for this purpose.

Also, if anyone has recommendations on the best way to replace given this layout/design it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help me choose the right valve

PVC valves stiffen up and sometimes leak and seize up. No problems like that with the Neverlube (or equivalent valves).

For these deck jets, you could consider some of the PVC valves that use unions on both sides, then you could replace the valve part easily if you have a problem in the future.

For a valve that is rarely turned, a ball valve can be ok. But I would want something better if the valves are turned often.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    PVC valves stiffen up and sometimes leak and seize up. No problems like that with the Neverlube (or equivalent valves).

For these deck jets, you could consider some of the PVC valves that use unions on both sides, then you could replace the valve part easily if you have a problem in the future.

For a valve that is rarely turned, a ball valve can be ok. But I would want something better if the valves are turned often.
    Thanks for the response. What are the NeverLube like equivalents that would be recommended?
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

4. Back To Top    #4

The ones that look the same from Hayward or Pentair.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll be honest with you and say that in time, those valves wont seal, the handles will break, or both. It will take several years most likely, but it will happen.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I'll be honest with you and say that in time, those valves wont seal, the handles will break, or both. It will take several years most likely, but it will happen.
    Are you talking about the valves in my photo? You're exactly right. That's why I need to replace one, and will probably replace all. Jandy NeverLube seems like overkill, but it's not sounding like there are many options in between.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep it stinks. But it's an investment, in your time and not having to deal with it again in a few years.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

The appropriate Pentair valve costs roughly $25 on the Internet. It is a little more expensive than a ball valve, but hardly cost prohibitive. The Jandy version is under $45, more but not all that much more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Plus, the added benefit of the Jandy/Pentair/Hayward valves is that they can be easily rebuilt without having to replace the plumbed in body.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_k View Post
    Are you talking about the valves in my photo? You're exactly right. That's why I need to replace one, and will probably replace all. Jandy NeverLube seems like overkill, but it's not sounding like there are many options in between.

Yes, that's what I meant, and for all the reasons from other posters above. It really isn't much "overkill" if any.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

Amazon had the Jandy Neverlubes for the cheapest when I replaced mine FYI. Good luck.
    IG Vinyl 16-18k gal, Intelliclor IC40 SWCG, Ranger 24" Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magnum Pump 1 1/2 HP, Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Great White Pool Cleaner.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like it's a good investment.

Any tips on the best way to remove the old and install the new?

13. Back To Top    #13

Get a good set of PVC cutters would be my suggestion, but perhaps you ca borrow a pair if you never will cut PVC on a regular basis.

Go to a place with a large selection of PVC, like an irrigation supply house and get CLEAR primer. They might even rent you cutters, but I doubt it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

14. Back To Top    #14

All the PB's that I interviewed in Houston all use Jandy Neverlube valves.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Get a good set of PVC cutters would be my suggestion, but perhaps you ca borrow a pair if you never will cut PVC on a regular basis.

Go to a place with a large selection of PVC, like an irrigation supply house and get CLEAR primer. They might even rent you cutters, but I doubt it.
    Thanks. I'll look into cutters. I saw a YouTube video where the guy used pool-specific PVC cement. Is this needed?