NUMBER OF LEDs

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
I have been reading a lot of threads about how many LEDs are needed in a pool and am wondering if I should add an LED (note that my pool was already gunited) My pool is 50 feet long and about 23 feet wide in parts. I have 2 LED lights facing each other (see pictures - hopefully they atatched) 50 feet apart. I also have a small Niche LED light in the Grotto (light kind of faces Sun Shelf). The Sun Shelf has two LED bubblers and there will be two LED Laminars behind the Grotto and rock wall.

Do you think I need another LED light?

Attachments

• IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 331
  • photo10.jpg
    photo10.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 331
Are you getting colored LEDs or white? Some colors do not travel far in water so it can look pretty dark. Just depends on how bright you want the pool. Some people do not want it bright as it attracts bugs.

I do not think it would be worth the hassle and expense to add another one.

Thanks everyone.

If I added one, where should I add it? If I had thought about it earlier, perhaps below the rock ledge on the left. But if you look at the top picture, the ledge on the left will be filled with Rocks, and to put a light below the ledge may be difficult because they will need to drill through two feet of croncrete. I'm not sure if putting one on the Sun Shelf makes sense as I will have two LED bubblers there. I'm also not sure there is enough room from the top (as the Sunshelf has only 8 inches of water).

Any ideas?

You don't really have any good placement options that don't involve going through 2' of concrete. With your other light on the bump out in the deep-end, your darkest areas will be to both sides of that light.

If you did add one, I'd suggest in the alcove to the left of the sunshelf.

That said, it won't be "dark" (except maybe on the deeper colors) but certainly not bright. A white pool finish would make noticeable difference versus something with a lot of color.

Sorry to hijack, but what software are you using in that 2nd picture? I'm designing my own pool in AutoCAD (2D), and would love to get something going in a real 3D pool modeling program (if not too expensive, obviously) to help visualize things better. I wouldn't need all the detail in my AutoCAD plans, just the basic surface elements. Any suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My PB said at this point I can only add a Nichless low voltage light (like the one I am getting in the grotto). Do you think it makes sense to add one on my Sun Shelf (even though I do have two LED bubblers on there). I am worried that the Sun Shelf, which is higher than the other parts of the pool, may not get enough light.

Also, would it make sense to add one on the wall directly across from the Sun Shelf?

Is adding a low voltage light worth it ($1100 a light).

Thanks

One other question in addition to the above. My PB now tells me that I can't put a light in my Tanning Shelf because it is too shallow (8 inches). Does that seem right?

I just discovered these the other day: http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...lights-454.htm. They're specifically designed for shallow areas (i.e. tanning ledges, benches, etc.). Ask your PB if these would be ok, and let us know what he says. I'm hoping to be able to use these in my 9" tanning ledge.

Documentation says top of the lens must be at least 4" below normal water level. Lens diameter looks to be 3" max from one of the pics. So 9" water depth would appear to be no problem.

The documentation didn't indicate the diameter of the lens (which is strange since I would have expected them to state the minimum depth needed). The problem with this product for me is that the lights won't work with my Aquilink.

Correct that it doesn't seem to mention the lens diameter but it does show the fixture in the same diagram with 2" PVC which is where my guess came from. Too bad about your controller interaction. Seems like a perfect solution for those with Pentair controls.

Correct that it doesn't seem to mention the lens diameter but it does show the fixture in the same diagram with 2" PVC which is where my guess came from. Too bad about your controller interaction. Seems like a perfect solution for those with Pentair controls.

The Pentair lights (believe it or not) is the main reason I will be using ALL Pentair equipment (controller, pumps & SWG), except Jandy valves.

I can see that. If there's a differentiating feature, that's a great reason to choose one of the top brands over another.

I just found what seems like an equivalent light. Savi lights which are now owned by zodiac (jandy). I will see if they can go in my Tanning Shelf. Any thoughts on whether I should add nicheless low voltage lights elsewhere in my pool. My PBA said he can't add the more powerful lights any more since he did the Gunite already.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.