Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing/Operation question

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing/Operation question

Same new pool as before but we're laying out the equipment, and I'm looking for advice regarding valving the suction side. I have a dedicated suction line for cleaning, should I prepare valving to shut off just the skimmers when I want to clean or should I shut off the drain as well??
    42K Poured Concrete, Quartz, 4XJetpacks in integrated spa. 3XIntelliflo, Cartridge Filter 420. IntelliTouch+I9+3+iS10 Spa control. Intellichlor IC60, Intellichem+CO2 injection. 9XIntellibrite 5G LEDs HE-150 Heat Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing/Operation question

So you have a suction cleaner line, multiple skimmers, and a floor drain all plumbed separately to the equipment pad?

It might be easier if you attached a drawing of your plan and we can comment on that.

You need to be able to adjust the flow so it is adequate for the cleaner. There are many many different ways to plumb this. I might think a 3-way right before the pump with one side to the cleaner and the other side to the rest with additional valves to adjust the flow to the skimmers and floor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have never had an issue with my floor drain being on while using suction side lreepy but others have, like most have said here on these forums being able to control all auctions lines individually can help later down the road but also on the flip side each valve can now become an issue down the road! If you do instal a lot of valves use unions so you won't always be cutting out pipe on cement equipment pad

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason, the skimmers are not piped separately, there are 4 and they arrive at the equipment in a 4" pipe, the circulaton drain is in 3", both of which obviously need to be reduced. However if I close of both skimmers and drain, since I'm using Pentair Intelflo, can I not use the pump speed to adjust the flow when cleaning?
    42K Poured Concrete, Quartz, 4XJetpacks in integrated spa. 3XIntelliflo, Cartridge Filter 420. IntelliTouch+I9+3+iS10 Spa control. Intellichlor IC60, Intellichem+CO2 injection. 9XIntellibrite 5G LEDs HE-150 Heat Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes that would work as well ... although usually you would want to keep skimming while the vacuum is running too.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Jason, attached is the hydraulic drawing, up to the equipment which we're working on now. In case you don't speak Spanish Vacio= Cleaning Suction, Desnatador=Skimmers, Returno=Return and Drenaje=Drain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

The picture is too small to even read anything, so my lack of Spanish (even living within 100 miles of the border) is the not limiting factor
    Although I am not sure what more you want to know based on the drawing.

Check this out for a better way: How To Post Pictures
    Jason, TFP Moderator