Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Float Valve for this skimmer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Float Valve for this skimmer?

Hello, first post in this great forum and I've been reading around and learning a lot for about a week. Moved into house with pool 2 years ago. The main drain has never worked and I believe it is connected to the skimmer. I ran a hose down the main drain line and it stops at about 3 feet. I could see water coming up from the main drain when I turned on hose. At the pump I have a diverter valve which opens and closes a side wall input (for auto vacuum) and the skimmer. There is no float valve in the bottom of the skimmer. I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of skimmer I have and what I need to make the main drain work in conjunction with the skimmer. Also are the float valves universal? I have attached a photo of the skimmer floor. The left hole goes to the pump and the right to the main drain. There are two raised nubs on the skimmer floor as seen on the bottom of the photo. Also a center hole. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarasota Florida 14x28 pebbletec Laguna blue finished pool, 100 cartridge filter, 1 1/2 hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Float Valve for this skimmer?

Welcome!

Just measure the well diameter and go to the pool store. I bought a generic diverter valve and it works just fine. Looks like this:

The alternative is to start looking all around for manufacturer's name and part numbers cast into the plastic somewhere and then try to find a dealer and then try to order a diverter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, my well is 7 inches do they make one that size?
    Sarasota Florida 14x28 pebbletec Laguna blue finished pool, 100 cartridge filter, 1 1/2 hp pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by donziius View Post
    Thanks, my well is 7 inches do they make one that size?
    Probably. Mine is a bit smaller than the well, but it covers both ports and works. Just go ask at the dreaded pool store.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for your help, ended up getting a skimmer basket that diverts the suction and works great. Main drain working well now.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hmm - so i stumbled upon this thread … I have two holes in the bottom of my skimmer as well. How do I know where each one goes? Also - How would I know if my main drain was or was not working? I know this sounds completely silly but I have one of those 'diverter valves' that is pictured above and it sits in my shed. Is that something I should have in my skimmer?

Thank you for any input.
    Thanks!!
    18ft x 36ft 24500 gal vinyl liner inground
    Salt water pool - swim pure plus
    Hayward cartridge filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by wpturner05 View Post
    Hmm - so i stumbled upon this thread … I have two holes in the bottom of my skimmer as well. How do I know where each one goes? Also - How would I know if my main drain was or was not working? I know this sounds completely silly but I have one of those 'diverter valves' that is pictured above and it sits in my shed. Is that something I should have in my skimmer?

Thank you for any input.
    If you want the main drain to flow, you need the diverter.

When the pump is on, one of those two openings will have suction. The other should go to the drain. You could stuff a hose down that port and see if all sorts of collected debris gets pushed out into the pool. That will tell you if the pipe is clear. Or take the diverter, slide the flap on the bottom closed, and drop it in. The skimmer will stop and the pump will be draawing from the main drain. If things are close to normal otherwise, the pipe is clear. If the other end is plugged, the pump will start starving for water and cavitating. Shut if off to relieve suction and remove the diverter.

If the thing does work, experiment a little. Wide open means all skimmer. Fully closed means all drain. SOmewhere in between splits it. I have mine set to the point where I just see the slightest reduction in skimmer turbulence.

8. Back To Top    #8

Do all the diverter valves have a float to protect the pump if the water level falls below the skimmer? My diverter valve is missing, too, so I need to buy one.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
    Do all the diverter valves have a float to protect the pump if the water level falls below the skimmer? My diverter valve is missing, too.
    I have no clue. It should, but I do not know.