Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help. Pressure is high on gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

Help. Pressure is high on gauge

I was going to start cleaning my pool to get it ready. It is green. No chemical in it yet. I have ran filter all winter at least 4 hrs per night. Today I put my creepy vac on to start working on the bottom. I notice the pressure was over 40psi, so I figured I better backwash and rinse. When I first did backwash noticed some sand came out I let it backwash for several minutes and then rinsed for several minutes. I let it vacuum for about 30 minutes and checked the pressure was back over 40 psi so I again backwashed but after several minute no water was coming out the waste line. So I rinsed again and then put the dial back to filter and let it run again pressure went right back to 40. so I tried backwashing again it bring the pressure down to 30 but nothing lower. But pressure goes right back up. I change the sand last year. I have very strong water return to the pool. Any suggestion as what might be going on?
    13k Gals, AG, Jacuzzi sand Top dial multiport, Aqua EZ 1.5 hp 1speed, creepy vac.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help. Pressure is high on gauge

Welcome to TFP!

Does the pressure go to zero when the pump is off? What pressure do you see when the multiport is set to recirculate?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

No it stayed at 20. When I turn the multiport to filter it jumped to 35. Could it be as simple as my gauge is messed up? We did have some freezing temps at night. But why would the flow completely stop during backwashing?
    13k Gals, AG, Jacuzzi sand Top dial multiport, Aqua EZ 1.5 hp 1speed, creepy vac.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just remember, the filter will not clean a green pool. You need to read and follow the SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain procedures. Anything less is just going to drag out the process of getting your pool clear.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

If the gauge does not drop to 0 when the pump is off, then it is bad. I would recommend the large glycerin filled ones like tftestkit.net sells ... much better than the junk typically found locally.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for recommendation on the gauge. I will be ordering today. I also will be looking into a testing kit. All I have is test strips. I added swimtrim to start working in the algae. Running filter continuous. I know I have no free chlorine. I will read the SLAM.

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, I highly recommend the TF-100 from tftestkit.net ... order that while getting your gauge ... add a SpeedStir if you like very helpful gadgets

And since you need to SLAM, the XL option is a good idea.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!