Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is it best to chlorinate after Stabilizer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question When is it best to chlorinate after Stabilizer?

Always open the season by stabilizing....Is there a wait period before it's best to chlorinate?
    I just added (2) separate 2.5llbs granular stabilizer doses to my 20k pool over 5 hrs ago. Does it matter if I wait to chlorinate? I have a bag of power powder plus /cal hypo and a few gallons of liquid chlorine and I'm ready to roll ! Thanks !

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When is it best to chlorinate after Stabilizer?

Welcome to TFP!!!

We never recommend blindly adding chemicals. Always test before you add. Please post up a full set of test results.

the only way you are ready to roll is if you already have one of the Recommended Test Kits and actually understand the chemistry described in Pool School. Have you read these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you. I have Ben Powell's from Pool Solutions PS-234 all Taylor based - I have a small Taylor test kit as well...

CL - 0
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 80
    CH - 250
    CYA - 0

my test kit :
    http://www.howibuiltmyownpool.com/im...pic2-large.JPG

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah ok, good deal.

Did you just fill the pool? It is very unusual for the CYA to be zero ... especially in a location where the pool is not winterized.

There is no need to wait to start chlorinating. In fact you should get at least 2ppm in the pool ASAP and increase it as the CYA dissolves over the next week.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

as far as I can remember my CYA is always at 0 come spring time and I always add stabilizer ....am I missing something > I don't even touch the pool from October - March , just cover it (so rain isn't diluting)

I've added about 192 ounces of liquid chlorine and a bag of Super Power Powder Shock - filter running ....last year I had trouble keeping CYA level in pool . Seems something was eating it . We'll see!
    thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

It is much more cost effective to use liquid chlorine.

It is also extremely rare for the CYA to drop to 0 every year over the winter unless the pool goes to a swamp.

Do you have an auto-fill on your pool?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

The pool does get kinda swampy during winter - always a touch of green , but I can still see bottom ? No Auto fill , I don't crank any water in until April or so .....something is eating the CYA . I run the pump only about 4 / 5 hrs during winter daily . Generally I just ignore pool until spring , that could be it . Thanks
    20k Gallon IG Plaster/Pebble Sheen Pool/ Cartridge Filter / Solar Panels

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tommypenngotti View Post
    The pool does get kinda swampy during winter - always a touch of green , but I can still see bottom ? No Auto fill , I don't crank any water in until April or so .....something is eating the CYA . I run the pump only about 4 / 5 hrs during winter daily . Generally I just ignore pool until spring , that could be it . Thanks
    This might explain your Cya loss year in/out then. Bilogical consumption of Cya for loss over winter is typically the accepted reason.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

what exactly in the biological world is consuming my CYA ? So if I added chlorine all through the winter then CYA would stay up? Thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10

See Degradation of Cyanuric Acid and It Can Happen to Anyone - Zero Chlorine, CYA-->Ammonia. It may be bacteria that convert CYA into either ammonia (if you're unlucky) or nitrogen gas (if you're lucky). If you were to maintain a chlorine level in the pool, then presumably the bacteria could not grow and the CYA would not degrade very quickly.

Chlorine slowly oxidizes CYA, but this is a slow process unless the pH is elevated a lot and the chlorine level is high.

If people are measuring their CYA level upon opening and have not fully circulated their pool water, then they may be measuring their most recent rainwater instead of the diluted actual CYA amount in the pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

here we go again! I haven't tested the CYA yet (guessing it's still not all there , only been 2 days) checked today - 0 chlorine level after pouring in 192 ounces liquid bleach and 1 power powder granular shock ! The pool has been covered , no sun to even eat the chlorine near it -

There is something eating chlorine level ...leaves (being swept up now) turning into ammonia? Happened last year too

So am I supposed to just keep shocking until something shows up , seems like I'm just dumping in endless chlorine and it gets eaten....thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

You are supposed to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Your pool did not get "swampy" or out of balance over-night, so do no expect it to clear up over-night.

Have you read the links I previously provided?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes , I'm on the slam routine as of today - I'll post results . Had water tested - mild Phosphates 500PPM . Guess I'll be keeping a closer eye on winter pool upkeep

14. Back To Top    #14

We do not care about phosphates. They are irrelevant if you maintain adequate FC ... which is the cornerstone of our teachings.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes , I'm on the slam routine as of today - I'll post results . Had water tested - mild Phosphates 500PPM . Guess I'll be keeping a closer eye on winter pool upkeep
    Like Jason said, ignore phosphates.

May I ask why you had the water tested? You have one of Ben's test kits so there should be no need to take water to the pool store - unless you just like fooling around with them.

When you post, please post your results - not the pool store. If you have read around here much (or even Ben's site) you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

16. Back To Top    #16

Duly noted....I was out of CYA regent , so I took it in for a quick look . This isn't your garden variety "Leslie's pool kid place. Been around forever and they have brought my pool back before I had Ben's kit....I didn't buy anything other than liquid Chlorine . Thanks

17. Back To Top    #17

Duly noted....I was out of CYA regent , so I took it in for a quick look . This isn't your garden variety "Leslie's pool kid place. Been around forever and they have brought my pool back before I had Ben's kit....I didn't buy anything other than liquid Chlorine . Thanks
    Hey, nothing be noted.... A lot gets lost in the web because things sound stronger than they really are.

When I'm bored I like to take a sample to the pool store to see what the recommend

There are a few pool stores out there that do testing right.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

18. Back To Top    #18

ok , so added quart and half of muriatic acid , waited 4 hrs - 3 gallons of liquid bleach , today it looks 50% better and chlorine is holding strong at 5ppm ...we are on the path to clarity!

thanks for all your help!

19. Back To Top    #19

No need to wait 4 hours before adding bleach. I feel like you are not reading any of the link I am providing ....

You need to SLAM the pool. 5ppm is no where near high enough ... READ THIS: ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

I read it. I should have been more succinct in my definition of state of pool and my use of chem tests . I can see bottom , it's not a swamp ....A slight algae bloom. I'm out of one of the regents for the FAS-DPD test so I may be way higher than 5PPM .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast