Solar panel durability?

DJSapp

May 6, 2014
NorCal
Hi,

I'm looking at doing a DIY solar install and was trying to find some information on how people's panels are holding up over time. In particular I'm looking at sungrabbers, sunquest, and enersol systems. How are they holding up? Cracking, leaking, doing fine?

I'm not terribly interested in the performance as I am how often I'm up on the roof fixing a leak. All I'm looking to do is extend the season in California and make it a bit more comfortable for the kids. I'm happy with the temperatures that our cover achieves on its own (75-80), but the rest of the family wants 80+ and I like the idea of extending the season a couple months. Probably looking at 144 sqft of panels or thereabout for a 12x22 igp (~12,500 gal, it's shallow) on a south facing roof.

Thanks!

I couldn't tell you the brand of solar heater I have on my pool, but my grandparents had it installed long, long ago, when I was a little kid. As far as I know, they've never been replaced, with the exception of one panel that a neighborhood kid shot out with a pellet gun when I was about 8. (It wasn't me). They've held up remarkably well, but last year three sprang pinhole leaks in the undersides. I'm down here in San Diego, CA, so the sun is pretty brutal on these panels. No idea why the three panels started leaking, but all in all, I would have to say they're pretty durable. Hope that helps!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.