Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autofill

1. Back To Top    #1

Autofill

I have an inground and the pool guy ran a 2" pvc line over to my pool equipment with the intentions of installing an auto fill. But like most pool guys in Texas he never returned to finish the job. So now I am in the market for an auto fill system. Can anyone recommend one that will work with my application?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Autofill

Where does the 2" PVC line go on the other end?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Usually the autofill is put in a buried bucket that is pretty close to the pool, not by the equipment. It has a cover like those for a skimmer.
    The bucket is connected to the pool with an underground straight pipe. I assume that is what the 2" line might be for? Although it does not need to be nearly that big.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The 2" pvc goes in to the side of the pool. I'm thinking I may have an autofill that is a closed system that can accept pressure. I'm not thinking a cavity feed system will work

5. Back To Top    #5

How would the closed system know what the water level is?
    Also there are risks attaching your freshwater supply into the pressurized pool system ... granted it would take multiple failures, but you do not want the pool water get back fed into your freshwater.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

The pool can't have pressure on it therefore it could never enter the city water line

7. Back To Top    #7

True. I was thinking of a previous thread where they wanted to plumb the fill line into the equipment plumbing.

Do you have a link to what a closed system auto-fill looks like? I can not envision it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

No I don't that's why I posted. I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction

9. Back To Top    #9

The only auto-fills that I am aware of use a buried bucket that is connected to the pool with a float valve that turns on/off the water to maintain a set water level.

I think there may also be other systems that have an electronic sensor that knows the water level (like in the skimmer or on the side of the pool) and signals a valve when to turn on water as needed ... or maybe I just dreamed that up
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Mrelectric View Post
    The pool can't have pressure on it therefore it could never enter the city water line
    Wrong! If there is a loss of pressure on the city water system, pool water can feed back into the city system. That is the reason backflow preventers are now required on irrigation lines, (and also on pool fillers).
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    Wrong! If there is a loss of pressure on the city water system, pool water can feed back into the city system. That is the reason backflow preventers are now required on irrigation lines, (and also on pool fillers).
    So true. When we had our pool remodeled in 2012, they had to add an anti-syphon valve to our auto fill line to meet current code. Original pool construction in 1984 did not require it.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

12. Back To Top    #12

I would love to see wAyer suck thru a closed valve. I'm sure some inspector dreamed that up somewhere. We have them too

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I would love to see wAyer suck thru a closed valve. I'm sure some inspector dreamed that up somewhere. We have them too
    But the valve doesn't stay shut, it opens when the pool water falls or an irrigation valve opens on a timer.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

That sounds like an overflow drain line to me, not an autofill. All the autofills that I have seen are plumbed with 1" or less pvc or pex. Ours is pex. Our overflow is 2" pvc.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

That does sound like a drain although I have never seen one taken back to the pad. What does the outlet look like in the pool. Does it look like a grate and is it mid level or higher than your skimmers. If it is then it's a drain. The auto fill is usually in a box by the pool and will look like your skimmer lid. Inside will be a float type valve like what you find on your toilet. Most PB's that I know run the drain to a location that can be seen. Float valves are man made and man made things malfunction sometimes.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

16. Back To Top    #16

What if all the water on the street is shut off while the pool fill valve is open? My next door neighbor's house is a good four feet lower than me. The guy on the other side is about three feet above me. It would be really easy for water to flow backwards and out the low neighbor's sink faucet. That's why there are backflow preventers. Not everyone lives on a flat prairie.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

The only large diameter PVC pipe I have associated with my autofill is a short segment that goes from the buried bucket right through the pool wall. Foot long max. Then a standard return eyeball was installed onto that pipe after plaster so it ends up looking like a standard return.

There's a water feed line at my equipment so I can connect a hose there and have water available for priming, cleaning my filter, etc. A water line was run from there, to the autofill bucket. Maybe they were going do the same thing but communications got mixed up with a plumbing helper.

Someone could have given a newbee instructions like: "Run a 2" pipe through the pool wall for the autofill...and oh, by the way, we gotta run the autofill line back to the equipment pad for water." Start misinterpretation at that point.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

18. Back To Top    #18

17 posts and no one has answered your question. Maybe that's because those systems aren't common.

One system that comes to mind that would work in your situation would be the Jandy Levelor system. It uses an electronic level sensing device and operates an electric solenoid valve to add the water. There are several other devices that operate on the same principal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Can we forget about the BFP for a minute? This is way sidetracked with backflow, and we haven't even gotten there yet. It doesn't matter that some people live on hills above you, the OP doesn't. But no matter, this is all beside the point.

Where does the pipe terminate away from the pool Mrelecric? Is it terminated at the pool equipment pad, or just stubbed out? I must admit, knowing the answer probably won't help me much as this is different than anything I've heard of for Autofill. Usually, it's just a 3/4" line or less piped to a float as mentioned. I'm having a difficult time trying to imagine how this set up is designed to function, but I am very curious. Did the PB give you any clue as to how this setup was supposed to work?

EDIT: Thanks Bama, you beat me to it while I was typing. Can you tell us anything more about this?

This is my learn something new every day item.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

20. Back To Top    #20

Here it is. I'm just opening the manual to see how this works.

Water levelling link
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast