Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NEW to pool and installing a new SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation NEW to pool and installing a new SWG

Hi i bought a house on Oct. 2014 and it has a pool it is the first time i have owned a house with a pool so i know very little about it. I have bought a Autopilot SWG and should be installed soon but i do noe know what oher chemicals i should buy to open the pool. Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated. My pool is roughly 15k gal and is made of gunite/plaster.

Thank You

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: NEW to pool and installing a new SWG

Unless you refinished the pool surface, use Pool Math to tell you how much salt you will need to get to the recommended level for your SWG. Have some Muriatic Acid on hand to control pH. Get a TF-100 Test Kit from links on this site. Post a full set of test results, and we will help you go from there.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

I highly recommend you spend some time reading and learning on the forum before you open. Adding a SWG does not make a pool maintenance-free. You still will need to be testing daily until you learn your pool.

I second the recommendation for ordering the TF-100 and suggest you take a pool at Pool School starting with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Water Balance for SWGs

And of course ask specific questions as they arise.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I appreciate your help guys, I knew asking the people here will be my best bet before i open the pool!!
    15K Gal Inground Pool, Plaster, Hayward S244T filter, Centurion 1HP pump, Autopilot SWG RC-42

5. Back To Top    #5

BTW, no need to buy "pool" salt. Just get the solar salt from the hardware store for half the cost.

I do recommend you measure your salt level before you add because you are not likely at 0ppm.

If you want the best setup, get the TF-100, the drop based salt test, and the SpeedStir
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Congrats on the new house. I'm in the same situation you are in, but I've only seen the pool covered, except for some pictures. I'm waiting until at least next season for the SWG and dual/variable speed pump upgrade. Since I'm in MD, you will probably be a couple of weeks ahead of me. I'll be looking for additional comments from you.

Garrett
    Pool: 40x15ft "Mt. Lake" shaped plaster IG (30k gallons with Borates)
    SWG: Circupool Si-45
    Pumps: Hayward MaxFlo VS (SP2302VSP) + Booster Pump for Polaris 180
    Filter: Pentair Tagelus TA-60D (Sand)
    Test Kit: TF-100 (with Speed Stir)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I second the recommendation for ordering the TF-100 and suggest you take a pool at Pool School starting with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Water Balance for SWGs
    Those articles are great; but getting crystal clear, clean water is not rocket science. It's actually pretty danged easy once you get the hang of it and "getting the hang of it" means either you understand the chemistry and look at your pool as if it were a beaker from high school chemistry class or you were too busy flirting with the opposite sex during chemistry class, don't have any desire to learn it and just follow the flippin' instructions!
    Home pool: Intex 11,400 gallon AG vinyl pool with sand filter & SWG. Taylor K-2006 test kit - coastal Georgia. I'm also in charge of the Elk's Lodge Pool, which is 55,000 gallons in-ground concrete with sand filter, 2 HP Hayward pump, currently using tri-chlor pucks and cal-hypo system.