Intelliflow not holding prime

Apr 30, 2014
California
So I was raving about how a variable speed saved me so much money so a friend bought one , the problem is he can't keep it full unless at full speed, it only has one line coming into it that I believe controls 2 wall drains plumbed together then it goes to a cartridge filter out to heater then to a 3 way stuck in neutral, can air be the case at low and not high? Or are the two drains and the distance to much? Btw skimmer is on it's own pump with inground pool jet cleaners.

It is common for some air to accumulate in the pump strainer basket at lower speeds. But there should never be enough air to cause a problem. If there are problems due to air in the basket, there must be a suction side air leak. There is an article in Pool School on solving suctions side air leak issues.

This is almost certainly a suction side air leak. It sounds like it is a slow air leak, which is more difficult to find.

No, a plumbing obstruction would not cause the strainer basket to fill with air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.