Another Solar Touch Controller Problem

Nov 13, 2014
Las Vegas
Just installed SolarTouch with Intelliflo VS pump and for some reason when you think the solar heat should be on, device actually states solar off. I have ext sped 2 set to 2500 rpm for head pressure correction. Speed1 set for schedule run from 10 pm to 4 am. Speed 2-4 set to manual.

Comm links work since you can go to manual in the SolarTouch and see Intelliflo and when pump sped 2 selected, pump gets command to run to ext speed 2 rpm set point.

Any suggestions? Or get warranty of pentair send me new one?

You haven't really explained what is happening in enough detail for me to be able to follow what is happening. Could you explain in more detail what "when you think the solar heat should be on" means? Does the pump run? Does the solar valve turn? Does the pump speed change? Does the SolarTouch say solar mode is on?

Programming the SolarTouch can be a little tricky sometimes, so my first guess is that there is something wrong with the programming, rather than anything electrically/mechanically broken, but it is impossible to be sure.

Is your panel temp x degrees above your water temp? Whatever it is set for? 3-5 degrees. Is heat set to on/enabled? Is the target temp set higher than the water temp? Is the cooling disabled or a far enough away set point not to conflict with the heat target?

I recall having some difficulty getting it to operate as expected at first. But, after going through everything and getting it all set it works great and I love it.

solar heat command should be on when water temp is below start temp set point which should be 6 degrees delta from water to solar temp if such is the set point as programmed into the utilities menu, correct? from talking to Pentair today, they state the scheduled clean and thus pump running have to coincide with available solar heat timing, thus clean schedule needs to be in the day time. to me that is messed up. the local utility has special rate packages if you say program your pool clean, electric car, wash clothes from like 7pm to noon. not sure how that works out to warm pool and efficient when solar heat is best available from noon to 5 pm. ill change my clean schedule and see if this controller first works. then see about changing the way this controller senses temp on the sensors. maybe some relay controls for temp sensors is needed.

Reactions: Topher55
The pump needs to be running, the water cold, and the solar panels warm before the solar will activate. There is a setting to have the SolarTouch turn on the pump for you, but it defaults off and I don't know how flexible it is.

There is no reason to run the pump at night for filtering when you are running the solar during the day for heating. The solar touch will turn on the pump when there is heat at the panel that is greater than the water temp. It will turn off solar when the panel temp drops below water temp or the water reaches the target temp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.