tstex filter question

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I LOVE my sand filter! It is SO much easier than my old cartridge one. The pump does all of the work with the sand filter.

The cartridge one it wet and time consuming.

Kim

Kim,

I have a Hayward Cartridge System and it is brand new so I am w it for awhile.

Can you expound on why you like the sand filtering system better, what were any issues you had w the cartridge filter?

Regardless of what filtering system, consistent and timely maintenance is the key. I clean out all of my skimmers daily and the pump baskets all the time. the less debris in them, the less stress and more efficiency on the pumps and filtering system.

Thanks
tstex

Re: Very disappointed in Pentair. Next step?

When it is time to clean is when I love the sand filter.

Cartridge filter cleaning-
-turn off pump
-close all valves going to filter
-open plug on filter (water tends to spray at this time)
-allow filter to drain
-get the filter ring loose and off (I had a hard time but found if I hit the right lightly with a rubber mallet I could get it off)
-take top of filter off
-take cartridge "holder oner" off and put in a safe place
-take cartridge out (I tended to get my feet wet with this part as the filter came up and out it dripped water all over)
-Put cartridge on something off of the ground (I used a cement block)
-spray cartridge over and over and over making sure to get between each and every pleat. I would also turn it over and redo it to make sure I got it good and clean. (I got VERY wet doing this and the whole area was wet and messy)
-put cartridge back in
-put holder oner back on
-put filter top back on AND make sure it is seated (this was very hard for me for some reason)
-put ring back on and tighten
-close plug where water ran out
-open plug on top
-open all valves going to filter
-wait until water starts coming out of the plug on top (another time to get wet)
-close plug on top

Cleaning a sand filter:
-turn off pump
-turn filter handle to back wash
-turn on pump and let it run until the water runs clean
-turn off pump
-turn filter handle to rinse
-turn on pump for 3 bursts of 30 secs each to settle sand back down
-turn off pump
-turn filter handle to pump
-turn pump on

Note the lack of "real" work I have to do for the sand filter compared to the cartridge filter.

I LOVE my sand filter! :snorkle:

Kim

Take all that ^^^^ up there and multiply times 4 for the 4 cartridges in my filter. I am very happy with the job my cartridge filter does, but it is more work. Especially for us because we have a lot of trees that put a LOT of stuff in the pool in spring and fall. If I ever decide to buy a new filter it will be sand.

Kim & Pook - thx for feedback...we have very little trees if any, so more air-borne than anything...I will go thru the drill for the next X yrs and whenever it is time to renew, I'll know the drill - thank you

Just to give a balancing opinion: cartridge is great because it doesn't waste water backwashing. If you get a large cartridge filter you only need to clean it once a year, which really isn't that big a deal. And cartridge cleans up the water more quickly after algae and other problems compared to sand.

That said, they are both good choices.

Here's another data point, tstex: I have had zero pressure increase in my cartridge filter after using it for the last 4 months since my pool was installed. If it's anything like the pool in my last house, I'll do a filter cleaning once a year whether it needs it or not! Even though it's a PITA, it's not bad to only have to worry about it that infrequently.

IF I only had to do the many things I do once a year, I would be a very happy person...I wish my pool panel breakers would only trip once a year...or, see my PB only once a year...Thanks for the feedback

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.