Looking install a pool heater. MasterTemp 400 propane good choice?

Mar 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am looking to purchase a pool heater for the upcoming season. There is no natural gas lines available where I live so it would have to be propane.

The local shop recommended a MasterTemp 300 (personally from what I have read this is too low) So I bumped that up to a MasterTemp400.

They ball parked the price around ~$2700. When I asked if that included installation they kind of hemed and hawed at that.

Looking on amazon and poolsupplyworld the 460737 is ~$2k

----------------------------------------

How would I go about determining how much propane I would need? I am assuming there would be "Normal" use. We are decent about putting hte solar cover on but not perfect.

Is there a better choice?

Can I install it myself? The propane line is already ran (previous owners must have used propane as well but I am assuming their heater died) SoI think it would just be the plumbing and hooking the AC up. I think :) famous last words.

Should I purchase from the local shop or from the internet? (the advantage the local shop has is potential warranty but for 700$ over amazon price idk if its worth it?)

Thanks!

At 40,000 gallons in Pittsburgh, even a 400k btuh heater isn't going to extend the season very far. However, It's about the best choice.

If the local company will agree to install it for that price, I'd definitely go with them for the unit. Since the gas plumbing is already there it shouldn't be a problem to plumb the new heater in. I'd take a look at the regulator and piping to make sure it's sized properly for that size heater.

If you look around on here, Raypak/Rheem, get a better review than any other brand on the market.

I am biased and I would say negotiate a good price from your local company. Support your local companies as much as possible. Plus, if you order online and it comes damaged or something happens during the install, now you'll have to deal with a return or dealing with who's fault is it that it won't work once installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.