S Fla Canal Front Remodel

ourback

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 6, 2015
Southern Florida
Hi all,

Long time lurker, new TFP member. After much searching last year I purchased a house down in Southern Florida on an ocean access canal, which had a newly resurfaced/retiled 16x32 almost rectangular pool (apparently adding a pool canalside is often economically infeasible due to the need to put it on piles/beams). They were just finishing the tile as we got to closing and had the water level low and a weighted hose coming from the skimmer, which if I had researched remodeling a pool, I would have known was the wrong order of operations, but at the time I had only worried about how to maintain clear water!
During the final walkthrough the water was still a bit cloudy, but they had filled it, and even though I noticed that they had left the hose in the skimmer, the water was well over the tile, and I didn't think twice about it. I really hated the coping, this weird wall on the house side of the pool, and wasn't a huge fan of the seen-better-days mexican tile deck, but that was such a low priority that I would address it in down the road when I'd gotten some life out of the new surface and hadn't just purchased a house!

#Winning
3aece000-bd78-471a-ba9d-a9aeb00faeff.jpg

Lovely coping
1da4beae-184f-418c-a6a7-7079d8170839.jpg

It turns out the water level was just below the skimmer lip, and if you filled it up, it would drain back down to that level in an hour or two.

Can anyone see where this is going? Yep, I had been scammed. They didn't resurface the pool, only re-tile, and the tile job was only so they could put an extra few rows of tile on and hide the water leak from cursory inspection! The skimmer was totally shot, and the surface wasn't so great either. (Cracks in the shallow end floor, pock marks, mottling, gouges, and a lot of rust stains from what looked like discarded ?staples?)

Bleh
b406886b-eb18-4857-b2f0-c9035ed456cc.jpg
39dadb30-f99f-4c51-8a46-0e76c7e14d68.jpg

It gets really old being the skimmer, so I reprioritized and saved up and have had a crew out here working on and off for about a month now. Since the existing deck needed to be broken up to replace the skimmer, I'm replacing it with ivory "french pattern" (do NOT say Versailles down here) travertine pavers, replaced the coping with matching travertine, and I'm redoing the mechanicals and surface. I know this is modest by the standards around here, but I thought I would share. (If it helps, an outdoor kitchen under tiki/chikee hut or ramada are a project for, hopefully, next year)

Looking better...
3D800858-A5BB-409F-9DAC-3679F636DA32_1.jpg

Tile
25fc2aeb-da14-458a-b21b-8c382c8d0f0e.jpg

Tile on the pool and grouted
99D44251-DAFF-4637-8731-F987A0A035D4.jpg

06042FED-7490-4D58-B7E2-58659BCBC7FC.jpg

The mechanical/electrical sub just did my new pool pad. Previously the equipment was sitting on the dirt and both returns were on a single 1.5" line. I added the pad, had that split into two lines, and had a third stubbed in for a future water feature. I also replaced the pump and filter, and added a SWG, because hey, this wasn't costing enough as it was!

Pad
2BCA3DAF-BC54-4130-ADC4-F6FC67F0FFE9.jpg

(BTW If anyone has any input, I've got a :scratch: regarding how the pump and swg should be wired.)

Tomorrow they're supposed to bullnose the coping and chip out the old surface (lack of bond coat between it and previous). I'm going with Florida Stucco's "Double Sky Blue" which is an exposed aggregate like Diamond Brite. Not doing DB because PB (and another whom I didn't hire) reported some issues recently with DB and them not standing behind the warranty. Florida stucco carries the equivalent warranty. I do wish I was getting more of a lagoon look, but I don't want to worry about / deal with fading of the plaster die, and a glass bead pebble finish is entirely out of the budget!

Everyone warns you how eye-roll worthy contractors are down in S Fla, and PB's are notorious anywhere in the country. I went with someone with a very good reputation, but this was a 2.5 week remodel :lol: we should be done in another 3 weeks or so, though to be fair, somehow entirely too much travertine was delivered so I'm having them do more paving than originally contracted.

This is definitely an area of construction where you need to be knowledgable and your own on-site supervisor! Lots of little and not so little things that get done or fall through the cracks. From the little stuff like turning a sharp corner into an uneven curve in the coping, adjacent sheets of pool tile not lining up properly, to much more serious things like not bothering to replace the equipotent bond you lost when you broke up and removed all the concrete with it's rebar in it... (And I'm reasonable, like I'm now getting a Hayward LED light instead of the Pentair, because nobody wants to try to get the new bond wire down to the niche, and I'm not willing to just trust that the bond that is there is still attached.)

I'm still quite confident I'll end up with a stellar back yard/pool, it just requires patience and diligence.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement pooldv.

And kimkats- Thanks! I had wanted something glass in the cobalt blue end of things that had some variability but was overall still dark since the surface is going to be light and the travertine is very light. I really couldn't find anything that fit the bill but I really liked this tile, and I just hoped the dichroic effect would be pronounced enough (bear in mind I was looking at the sample indoors). I had no idea that the coke-bottle like distortions in the glass would lead to that awesome mother of pearl type effect which shifted with lighting and viewing angle. Err I mean I picked it specifically because I knew it would look like that :cool:.

Chipped out
D4E2C9D9-5361-4678-B604-EAAF65DA7A2E.jpg

They've left the old finish where it's well adhered, but you can see how it was really bad on the walls. You can see all 3 previous surfaces and a little gunnite.

Is it acceptable to leave the steps and corner tile intact and just bond coat over them? They chipped the top of the first step, but that is it. Surface guy (who has been very straight with me so far) insists that touching the steps is an invitation to disaster, as they didn't use rebar in them down here, and he's afraid of hitting an air pocket in them.

Just an FYI (likely too late). For your size pool and given you are in a location that is open year round, that filter is much too small. Something up around 250 sqft or larger would be a better fit.

Another note. Those VS pumps are prone to damage from nearby lightning strikes (which you likely have a lot of). So I would also recommend you add surge protection on the power supply.

Lol, yeah a little too late, and it's twice the size of what was here before... Live and learn.

BTW Is there something better than the Hydraulics 101 to help people make filter size selection? This filter is rated to flow 3-4x what I need, so I'm assuming the issue is just around frequency of cleaning?

I'm planning to install a Type II surge suppressor in the near future, but good point, thanks.

The filter size is just based on the pool size, debris load, season length, and how often you want to clean it. Flow rate is rarely a concern. For cartridge filters the bigger you can go the better. For you at 250 sqft, you may only need to clean it 1-2 per year.

The recommended size I made is based on a table in the Hydraulics 101 article, although we usually double the cartridge and DE sizes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So they bull-nosed the coping today (that couldn't have happened yesterday so they could bondcoat today?) and well there is another term that starts with bull which describes my reaction to seeing the finished product...

From inside the pool
49D989E1-8165-4A7F-8B3F-D435F4A5BAA8.jpg

D2999E66-EED6-44F5-B036-C5591408F38F.jpg

It looks like that all around the pool- both the varying width darker flat tumbled face and having cut a bit deeper into most of the grout joints.

So it looks like I'll be losing another day while they ?finish? ?redo? the bull nosing.

On a positive note- look at that tile! Even covered in marble dust it looks awesome...

It was a diamond router bit on an angle grinder, it was just not done nearly enough, and extremely unevenly at that.

Everyone has had the same multi-part reaction:
1) They hear the complaint and react that I'm being difficult and expect too much
2) They see those pictures and get upset and apologetic

Once again- if I wasn't here watching stuff, that would be how it was left, even though everyone means well.

Now I'm going to be out of town when they do the surface, owell.

Very nice tile. You're paying for them to do a good job. Complain if you need too, I know I would!

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the finished surface in the light since I got home late last night. I woke up around 3am to check the fill status and since the water was over the light, I decided to turn it on.

I never should have done that.

A02741DC-5BB4-4107-83D3-A23BE49F9248.jpg

3AE873F0-6AB6-49A0-97F9-BCBD3824AD77.jpg

3AE873F0-6AB6-49A0-97F9-BCBD3824AD77.jpg

Wasn't able to get back to sleep after that, so here is a warning to others: shallow end / step plaster looks like **** when there is no water movement and you have the light on. I did not know to expect such. I'm not really happy with how the steps currently look, but I think the phrase "it is what it is" needs to apply.

There isn't any perfect pool on this forum. We could all point out a dozen problems with our pool. But, trust me nobody will notice or care even if they did notice. It all looks good from a floatie with a cold adult beverage! And your pool looks great, TONS better than it did. Major upgrade. And it looks like the bullnose got worked out too, I like it. Won't be long til swim time now.

:paddle:

Thanks, and yes, of course you're both totally correct. It's orders of magnitude better!

And the story is I won't be swimming in it for 2 weeks, and I'm sticking to that. If anyone tells you different, don't believe them!

Now to figure out the settings for my pump and the valve between the skimmer and vac line. When I fired up the filter it kept priming and then losing prime and then priming and... Until I figured out that the default priming speed sucks the skimmer dry if I don't close it down like 80% of the way!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.