Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low to no FC, no CYA, high pH......where to start?

1. Back To Top    #1

Mobile, Alabama

Low to no FC, no CYA, high pH......where to start?

So I'm trying to get my pool ready for the season. I've been adding liquid chlorine (10.5%) over the winter since "closing" to keep the water clear. The water started to get a little cloudly last week so I SLAMed it and it's sparkling clear again, but I noticed my FC dropped quick. Low and behold, my CYA is next to 0. I did the black dot test and filled that tube up without making the dot disappear. I've got chlorine, CYA, and muriatic acid, but I wanna know what I should add first? I figure I should add CYA first as this will protect any chlorine I add and help lower pH. What'cha think?

Kevin T
    16' x 32' Vinyl Liner Grecian Pool. 20,000 Gallons. Sta-Rite SuperMax 1HP Pump (PHK2RA6E-102L). W. Cooper Ranger Series 25" Sand Filter. Dolphin Nautilus Plus.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Low to no FC, no CYA, high pH......where to start?

First, lower the PH to the 7.6 to 7.8 range. The CYA will lower it a little more, but get it in range first.

Then start working on raising CYA.

Add a minimum of 2 ppm of chlorine once a day through the raising CYA process, even if it all vanishes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School