Replacing Skimmer/ MD valve

Jun 21, 2011
I bought my home 4 years ago and it came with a pool. Unlike many pool owners I talk to I actually enjoy working on it and maintaining it. The one thing I pay a pool company for is closing the pool every winter since I have never done it and not sure about the proper way to blow the lines. Having said that I am going to educate myself and do it this coming winter.
The pool itself is in great shape but much of the equipment is 20+ years old and in need of replacement. So my spring project is to install a new filter, Multiport valve, booster pump for the Polaris and SWG .My pool equipment sits down hill, below the level of the pool.
Now to the problem. I have a leak that developed at the end of last season just before my Skimmer/main drain valve. The pool was winterized and the lines blown out and from what I can tell have remained free of water. My question is, with the equipment below the pool level, if I keep all of the winterizing plugs in, will I be able to cut the PVC pipe before the MD valve (which is currently closed) and be able to replace the valve without draining the pool? I would like to avoid draining the entire pool just to replace a valve but maybe that's not possible? Any suggestions would be great.

Welcome to TFP!

If there is an actual drain plug in the main drain(s), then yes you can cut the pipe and replace the valve. It is common for there to be a drain plug in the situation you describe, but I would double check before cutting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.