Suggestions to get the pool to normal levels

prasadkm0204

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2015
Santa Clara,CA
My TF-100 kit arrived yesterday and I did the following tests (except the Chlorine detailed test) and here are the results.

CYA - Above 100
CH - 750
PH - 7.8
Total Alkaline - 160ppm
Chlorine reading - 5 on the scale

It looks like the only way to get the pool to normal state is to drain water and add back water (should have gotten rid of the pool guy much earlier).

Is there any suggestion on how to go about this. I have a plaster pool with about 30000 gallons of water (other details in my signature).

How much water should I drain?
Should I do it in phases by draining water every weekend or in one go ?
If I do it one go, how much time will the whole process take to drain and refill ?

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks a bunch,
-Prasad

You do not want to drain the pool all the way, especially if you have a high water table. You can drain 1/3 of the pool and refill, circulate water for 1/2 to 1 hour and retest CYA. Continue the process until your CYA is within range.

The amount of time it takes depends on just how high your CYA level actually is. Draining and replacing a third of the water often takes most of a day. You may need to do that several times, depending on just how high CYA actually is.

You can get a very rough approximation of the actual CYA level by doing the CYA test again with dilution: mix equal parts of pool water and tap water together, do the CYA test with that, and multiply the result by two. That won't be very precise, but it will tell you if CYA is closer to 100 or closer to 200+.

You are on the right track.

Just listen to what Jason and Casey said and you will get your pool balanced.

Great job on getting the good test kit. Your pool will look SO much better AND be cheaper to maintain once you get it balanced.

Kim

Thanks a bunch all.I redid the test and looks like it's closer to 200. Is there any other way apart from draining water. The water looks clear and pool looks nice.

When we moved in 5 months back, we just hired the guy who was maintaining this before. The precious owners never used the pool but from the looks of it the water has always been clear and nice.

Just wondering if drain,fill repeat is the only solution. Trying to keep my water bill under check.

Thanks again.

Some areas offer a Reverse Osmosis (RO) BUT it is VERY expensive.

Even in areas with high water prices it has shown to be cheaper to drain and refill.

It needs to be done. Try to get it done before the water starts heating up. When it gets above 60 degrees is when algae can start growing dune to the chlorine not being high enough for the level of CYA in your pool

Kim

Ok. I will start this process soon. Another question. Can the pool water be used for plants and trees. I am guessing the answer is 'no' due to Chlorine and other chemicals, but wanted to confirm.
I use pool water on the lawn with no problem. I don't think I'd want to use it on the vegetable garden, though. CYA supposedly breaks down into ammonia, which is actually a high-nitrogen fertilizer. The Chlorine will break down in a hurry in the sunlight, since it's going to be extremely shallow. The Calcium is already in the water coming out the hose, just not so concentrated. pH and alkalinity are probably better than what comes out the hose. The only fear is high salt. But if the pool doesn't have a SWG, it probably isn't high enough to kill things.

I run mine out to the grass and trees and have not had any problems. The grass there looks the same as the area on the other side of the house that does not get pool water. Just saying..........................

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. I will start this process soon. Another question. Can the pool water be used for plants and trees. I am guessing the answer is 'no' due to Chlorine and other chemicals, but wanted to confirm.

The only exception might be giving water to very salt sensitive plants from a SWG pool. Here, the plants would have to be quite sensitive to salt. You won't have problems even with SLAM levels of FC.

Related question. How do I go about draining the pool. I tried using the pool cover pump(not recommended by the pool cover company though) and it took forever to drain.

I read threads about using backwash and the pool pump but I don't understand it completely. Is there a simpler option of renting a submersible pump anywhere ? How much does it cost.

I rented a submersible from Home Depot. Did the half day rental, but picked it up late afternoon and did not have to return it until the next morning. I want to say it was less than $50. Or you could buy a smaller cheap one from Harbor Freight.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.