power consumption of a SWG

Oct 26, 2014
Thailand
" EMAUX SSC50T when running at 100% it will use approx 15 amp at 220V-230V"

This is the email i got back from Emuax today when i asked about the power consumption of there 45g /hr SWG as i understood reading various figures it should be in the range of about 300w power usage .Im going to put a UPS/regulator in line as the electricity here in Thailand is not very reliable and the supply goes up and down . But from what they have sent me do i understand it corectly that the power consumption is going to be 3300w so 3.3Kw
volts x amps=watts ? .Does anyone else know the consumption of there units or have i missed somethig here dont know too much about electric myself .If so a standard 500w UPS which i was thinking of using would be no good for this

Yes, volt x amp = watts. There is no way SWG draw 3300 watts. My Pentair IC40 SWCG manual is not completely clear about power consumption. But, it looks like max output is 165-292 watts from the power supply and max draw of the cell is 220w. So, the 300w reference seems to be correct and a 500w ups will be fine.

lol. When I see Fleischmann i think margarine.

To OP,
I found two more references that further confirm, one says that it draws 1amp at 220v and another that says it draws 240 watts. The sub-300 watt consumption is accurate.

The power is converted to lower voltage dc current. Probably somewhere around 12 to 20 volts dc. The 15 amps is probably correct for the power going to the cell. The power would be the amps x the voltage going to the cell.

This is what the pentair manual says for the intellichlor power supply. 110v at 2w or 220 at 1w.

IntelliChlor Model IC20, IC40 and IC60
Input: 95-130 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 220 Watts (2 AMP) or 220-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 220 Watts (1 AMP).
Output: 22-39 VDC @ 7.5 AMPS maximum from the Power Center.

Note that US SWGs such as Jandy, Pentair and Hayward are typically in the 6 to 7 amp range at about 24 to 28 volts dc going to the cell. However, Australian units seem to be more variable in their voltage and current going to the cell.

Thanks for all the replies thought it wasnt right and wanted to check in the "real" world that was the info sent from Emaux support i can not find any information about the transformer voltage at the cell but thats what i asked them thats what they sent back :) .Looking at what info is out there seems to be generally around the 300watt area for a 45g/hr cell so i think a 500w UPS with a regualtor will do . Im guessing no one else is running a UPS or a Emuax Salt cell on here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.