Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: issue with CYA and no chlorine detected

1. Back To Top    #1

issue with CYA and no chlorine detected

Ch - None showing on the test, I can't get the color to change at all
    PH - 7.5 (could be a 7.6, kinda close)
    Alkalinity test - 140ppm
    Calcium hardness - 420ppm
    CYA - 100 or above, the test doesn't specifically state what it is above 100

so my issues are obviously two fold. first off, the chlorine isn't showing. i use the puck chlorine in a floater. it doesn't really seem to be reducing much. i put a 3 inch tab and after about 2 weeks there is still a good part of it left.

i had some issues last year and had to have my pool partially drained (3/4th's or so) and refilled. this was back in july of 2014 or so. how can i get my CYA down? i've read that you may need to refill the pool to get cya down but it just seems strange that i would have to drain/refill the pool twice in less than a year. something else must be happening or that i'm not doing.

any advice?
    Pool Size = 17,738 gallons, in ground pool, plaster material
    Cartridge filter. I'm not certain of the brand. Pump is Pentair 340039 SuperFlo.
    I believe the pool was BUILT in the 70's. I don't know with 100% certainty but it is definitely not new. I'm using the Taylor K-2006 test kit.
    I have an automatic pool vaccuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: issue with CYA and no chlorine detected

The only practical way to get the CYA level down is to replace water.

With CYA as high as it is now, it is unlikely you will be able to resolve the situation before lowering the CYA level. So getting CYA down is the first priority. Once you have CYA down to something more reasonable, it is time to SLAM the pool, see the description of SLAMing in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are using trichlor pucks exclusively to provide chlorine, then that is what is causing your CYA problem. The pucks contain a lot of stabilizer. Every puck you add increases the CYA and finally you get to the point where there is so much CYA, that the FC is simply not sustainable.

Until you stop using pucks as your primary source of chlorine, then the problem will continue to repeat itself.

This is why TFP recommends to use either Liquid Chlorine or a Saltwater Generator to make it. Neither add other unnecessary chemicals to the water such as Pucks, or Powders do.

Quote Originally Posted by antemasque View Post
    CYA - 100 or above, the test doesn't specifically state what it is above 100

i use the puck chlorine in a floater.

i've read that you may need to refill the pool to get cya down but it just seems strange that i would have to drain/refill the pool twice in less than a year. something else must be happening or that i'm not doing.

any advice?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

drats. thanks for the replies fellas. i don't think i can drain the pool/refill for some time. there are restrictions in my city that say you can only do it a certain amount of times (on account of us being in a drought), and i just did it 6 months ago. i usually don't start using the pool for swimming until may or so, so maybe by that time i can do something with it. just frustrating that in only 6 months its out of control again.

i'll look into the liquid chlorine. any advice on where to get the best price? seems a bit on the high side from what i see online but maybe a local store has better deals
    Pool Size = 17,738 gallons, in ground pool, plaster material
    Cartridge filter. I'm not certain of the brand. Pump is Pentair 340039 SuperFlo.
    I believe the pool was BUILT in the 70's. I don't know with 100% certainty but it is definitely not new. I'm using the Taylor K-2006 test kit.
    I have an automatic pool vaccuum.

6. Back To Top    #6

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Another option, although kind of costly from what I've read here, is to use a Reverse Osmosis (RO) service. Its kind of like dialysis for the pool water. You won't have to drain then
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

How many 25 lb buckets have you used. For your size pool. Every 25 lbs adds just shy of 100 ppm of CYA. That with no water replacement and probably added to the CYA that was already in the water. You can see how it adds up fast. TFP is about learning to accurately test and only adjusting what needs to be done. That's why we push liquid chlorine "household bleach" or SWCG. Good luck and ask questions. That's what this place is all about.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"