Why is the pool pump such a mystery to me? (How long to run?)

HX_Guy

Nov 13, 2013
I've heard so many different things of how long the pool pump should run...from just a general 6-8 hours a day to the hours should match the temp of the day (80º = 8 hours...110º = 11 hours).

I would think there has to be something a bit more precise than that? I probably need to figure out how much my pump circulates per hour and divide by the size of the pool? Should it run every day? Only every couple days?

Pool is pretty small, about 10,000 gallon in-ground with pop-up cleaners and a Pentair variable speed pump.

I started with six hours and bumped it down to about 4 hours. As long as the pool stayed clear, I was happy. Then, I added solar without adding a dedicated pump. Now, I run the pump for five hours, which covers the exact hours that the panels get sun each day.

I started with six hours and bumped it down to about 4 hours. As long as the pool stayed clear, I was happy. Then, I added solar without adding a dedicated pump. Now, I run the pump for five hours, which covers the exact hours that the panels get sun each day.

I used to run mine 8 hours per day but have recently reduced it to 5 hours per day, also because of solar. Funny how I am now more concerned about how much power I used than before getting solar.

- - - Updated - - -

You'll just have to experiment to learn your pool's personality. There is no fixed formula. I get very little blown debris and I can keep my water sparkling on 3 hours a day plus whatever it gets when I'm vacuuming.

Same here, I get practically no blown debris at all. Water looks great, but I have a weekly pool guy that comes so I don't know the water pH and all other levels...I assume they are good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.