Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why is the pool pump such a mystery to me? (How long to run?)

1. Back To Top    #1

Why is the pool pump such a mystery to me? (How long to run?)

I've heard so many different things of how long the pool pump should run...from just a general 6-8 hours a day to the hours should match the temp of the day (80 = 8 hours...110 = 11 hours).

I would think there has to be something a bit more precise than that? I probably need to figure out how much my pump circulates per hour and divide by the size of the pool? Should it run every day? Only every couple days?

Pool is pretty small, about 10,000 gallon in-ground with pop-up cleaners and a Pentair variable speed pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why is the pool pump such a mystery to me? (How long to run?)

You definitely want to run the pump every day. We recommend roughly four hours of run time, a little less when the water is very cold. See the How to Determine Pump Runtime article in Pool School for more info.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I started with six hours and bumped it down to about 4 hours. As long as the pool stayed clear, I was happy. Then, I added solar without adding a dedicated pump. Now, I run the pump for five hours, which covers the exact hours that the panels get sun each day.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    You definitely want to run the pump every day. We recommend roughly four hours of run time, a little less when the water is very cold. See the How to Determine Pump Runtime article in Pool School for more info.
    Thanks Jason. What's considered "very cold"? My pool temp is currently 62.

5. Back To Top    #5

You'll just have to experiment to learn your pool's personality. There is no fixed formula. I get very little blown debris and I can keep my water sparkling on 3 hours a day plus whatever it gets when I'm vacuuming.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by f3justusc View Post
    I started with six hours and bumped it down to about 4 hours. As long as the pool stayed clear, I was happy. Then, I added solar without adding a dedicated pump. Now, I run the pump for five hours, which covers the exact hours that the panels get sun each day.
    I used to run mine 8 hours per day but have recently reduced it to 5 hours per day, also because of solar. Funny how I am now more concerned about how much power I used than before getting solar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    You'll just have to experiment to learn your pool's personality. There is no fixed formula. I get very little blown debris and I can keep my water sparkling on 3 hours a day plus whatever it gets when I'm vacuuming.

Same here, I get practically no blown debris at all. Water looks great, but I have a weekly pool guy that comes so I don't know the water pH and all other levels...I assume they are good.

7. Back To Top    #7

If my pump wasn't only a year old, I would buy a two speed. In due time though.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
    Thanks Jason. What's considered "very cold"? My pool temp is currently 62.
    Under 50 degrees algae has a hard time replicating like crazy as in summer time.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!