Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about pool brushes....

1. Back To Top    #1

Athens, AL

Question about pool brushes....

Hello All

So far the season has gone swimmingly. Now I replaced my old brush and vacuum head with new nylon bristle brushes and the are beginning to shed already. I know I had seen rubber bristle brushes and now I cant fine them. Any help would be appreciated.

My Pool set up:

28,000 gal, 40x32x16 True "L" IGP, 3-8.5 ft depth, Hayward 1.5hp Super Pump, Pro Seriews 300# sand filter, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, Barracuda III suction cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: Question about pool brushes....

Tony, glad things have been good for you / pool! This is only a theory on my part, but I think the nylon is highly susceptible to UV degradation (especially as it's exposed to cl regularly) - storing them out of the sunlight may help prolong their lives.
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sydney, Australia

I think Waste is right. I used to leave my nylon brush out in the sun and it only lasted a few months. The bristles became very brittle and would quickly break off shedding bristles all over the pool.. I now keep my new one out of the sun and it hardly sheds anything...

47000L (12500 gal)
    IG Quartzon Interior
    Rolachem Acid & Chlorine dosing
    Paramount In-floor cleaner
    1.5HP pump + Sand filter
    Solar heating under the great Aussie sun!

4. Back To Top    #4
    The Great State of Texas

One summer I had left the brush out in the sun when it wasn't in use. Towards the end of the season I noticed the bristles easily "pulled out". The chlorine and UV degredation is significant. If you store the brush out of the direct sunlight, they will no doubt last longer.
    18' AG Pool, 6900 gallons, 55 sq. ft. Hayward Easy Clear Cartridge Filter, 1hp Power Flow LX Pump, North Texas