Thinking About Install and Initial Run of SWCG

Amanda14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2014
East Northport, NY
Surface
Vinyl
Hi.

As I am hoping the worst of the snow is beyond us in NY, I am thinking about our pool and the installation as well as the initial running of our SWCG (details in my signature). Very excited about the transition from regular chlorine and I bought the Autopilot at the end of last season and I am looking at the box as I type.

I have a few questions that may seem ignorant in nature but I have received much help on this forum in the past so I appreciate the input. Traditionally, what I would do is hook the filter, pump, etc., up - put the filter to waste and do I big vacuum to get rid of debris etc. I'm assuming I can still do this with SWCG connected and just have it off so it is a pass through basically? Reason I ask, is I have no salt in the pool now so I want to get it somewhat clean before I even turn the unit on and waste hours. Can that be done?

Also, Pool Math always confuses me. I have 18 bags at 40lbs per bag (18X40 = 720 lbs) is that close to enough? I'm thinking no but wanted to ask.
Do I need to buy the Salt Test kit even though I believe the Auto Pilot tells you about salt content?
I read on their website that when starting the pool to still use chlorine to bring it up to level. I still have a bunch of shock left over so I'm wondering if you are all advocates of that and do you do that each season. I have a bunch of tablets that I could float in the pool also until it gets clean and then I could run the SWCG.

I know I asked a few questions but thanks!

:)

Vacuuming is just fine. Water will not even get to the SWG, as it should be after the multi-port valve. In vacuum to waste mode, the water goes out the waste port of the multi-port valve and never reaches the filter/SWG/heater etc.

Don't assume that the starting salt level is zero. It could well be around 1,000, though that varies. Let the Autopilot measure the salt level for 24 hours to get an initial salt reading, and then calculate how much salt you need from that (or let the AutoPilot do it for you if you have entered you pool volume). Even then, don't add all of the salt at one time. Add roughly 2/3rds, give it 24 hours to mix in, and then test the salt (with the AutoPilot) and continue adjusting from there. It is easy to raise the salt level, but if you accidentally go over it is difficult to lower it again, so be cautious.

When the unit is new it is fine to go by the SWG salt readout. After a few years it becomes less clear if the SWG is still correctly calibrated, but it should be fine when new.

Using "shock" depends on which kind it is, and thus what other chemicals it contains, and if you need those chemicals or not. I raise the FC level with bleach when opening in the spring.

You can install the SWG at any time, and not do any damage to it. When the water parameters are not to spec the unit will shut itself off. I would turn it down to 0% until you get the water balanced for the SWG.

That amount of salt will be close to getting your water ready for the SWG. You will always want to test the water before and after adding salt and never rely solely on the SWG. The water will have some salt in it already but I'm not sure how much. If you have a pool store nearby they can check your salt content and it should be fairly accurate. If you don't have one, TF-100 test kit, I highly suggest you get one. You need to know the CYA level and pool store testing for CYA is not reliable. If the CYA level is too low the SWG will have to work a lot more than it needs to and if it is too high you be in trouble with algae sooner or later.

Whenever the FC drops below your target you should use liquid chlorine to raise it back up quickly. The SWG does not add enough chlorine quickly to recover when the FC is low. I'm guessing that tablets would be fine right now due to the fact that you are going to dump a lot of water to clean your pool up and get it ready. If we had test results we could say for sure if it would be safe or not to use tablets.

Great thoughts. Thanks. Right, duh multiport - forgot about that, BUT if I put it on to filter it can go through the SWCG without it being on right? I have the TF-100 and should put that in my signature and will actually. I think what I will also is do my vacuuming, etc. Test, post and then get the feedback on what best to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.