Suggestions on Closing Pool

I wanted to get some suggestions on closing my pool. I have a 24 feet above ground pool with a deck built all around the pool. Part of my pool is dug into the ground and I can't get under the deck because it's too low to the ground.

I've had my pool for 4 seasons and have done pretty much the same for the last two seasons. In the first season, we used the water bags to hold down the winter pool cover. It didn't work good at all. We used quite a bit of these water bags, but we get a lot of cross wind and we must have had our pool cover blown off at least a dozen times.

In the second year year, we tied the pool cover down using rope by threading rope in the grommets and going underneath the deck. As you can imagine. It's gross down there in certain spots with spiders and stuff. Also, there were portions of the deck where we couldn't go under. So, we looked for another option.

For the last two years, we've purchased sand bags and plopped them on top of the pool cover where it sits on the deck. This works pretty good; however, if you've ever carried sand bags, you know how heavy they are. We used about 2 dozen sand bags. I was hoping there was a better way of closing our pool without having to use all those sand bags. Does anyone have the same type of setup and can give us some suggestions? The rails on our pool sits on top of our deck so we can't get the pool cover overlap underneath it. I'll try to paste a picture of my pool so that you can see what I'm talking about.

Another question -- we live in a South suburb of Illinois. When we close our pool, we drain the pool below the skimmer, put the plastic tupperware-like cover on the skimmer, replace the eye with the eye cover, remove all the pipes connecting the pool to the heater and filter. Bring the filter and stuff into the house and drain all the pipes connected to the pool. Is there any reason why we need to drain the pool below the skimmer? It just seems to be a waste to drain the water and then have to refill it again in the summer when we open. If we drain all the water from the pipes and disconnect everything, I don't see why we would need to drain the pool. Any insights? We do use one of those pillows underneath the pool cover.

Thanks!

Attachments

• deck #1.JPG
    deck #1.JPG
    413.1 KB · Views: 449
Nice Pool! I've seen people use inverted T eye-bolt anchors on boat docks, like this
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...leat&cname=Cleats&aID=25G&merchID=1009&r=view. Or you could mount some of the self-storing, or flip-up cleats. You may also be able to use the expanding wing style drywall anchors, if the space between the deck boards is wide enough. If it's not, I'd look into drilling a hole to use, that could be filled with a plastic plug after winter. Don't know if anybody makes an in-pool AG winter cover, like this Fox IG one- http://www.foxpool.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?id=92
but they sure are nice! They help keep the pool looking good in the winter, not an eye-sore. Good Luck!!!

I have a similar set up with a deck totally surrounding my pool. What I have done is use clothesline and run it through the grommets and then around my fence posts. This keeps the winter cover in place. I then place pavers on the cover every four feet or so so that the wind can't get under it. I bought the pavers inexpensively at Lowe's. You may also use the sand bags, but I think you wouldn't need as many with the clothesline keeping the cover in place.

Johanna

Hey there neighbor (from Homer Glen here).... we have the "tupperware cover" too, we don't drain at all. We snap on the cover, put in the return plug, and it's a go. We get a bit of drips out of the return plug, hubby covers it with a PVC cap thingy he rigged up. We remove all the non-permanent plumbing, hoses, etc. to the shed. So no, don't bother draining, you should be fine, we've done it this way for the last 5 winterizations. Water is so expensive here in Homer, going up all the time!

Thanks for the cool suggestions on how to tie down my winter cover. I'll look into both methods and see what works best. I like the paver idea since I think it will be lighter and easier to carry than the sand bags. I was hoping there was some sort of contraption that was created for pool owners with decking. I guess it's just trial and error and see which is best.

Frustratedpoolmom -- thanks for responding about the water. We always wondered if there was a reason why we had to drain below the skimmer. We just couldn't understand why, but was afraid that maybe the skimmer would crack. I wouldn't think so because it would be covered, but everyone always says to drain below the skimmer. We're going to try to leave the water as you suggested because water is expensive here in Tinley too! I can't believe my water bill during the summer months with the sprinkler and the pool.

Have a great weekend!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.