New pool build, is this the right location for dedicated vacuum line?

Millty

Feb 16, 2015
Phoenix, Arizona
We are doing a DIY pool build and the pool designer put the dedicated vacuum line on the spa dam wall. This means we would have to walk out on the spa dam wall (12" wide), step over the spillover, and reach down while balancing on the 12" edge to attach the robot hose. He said it should be centrally located and that was the only good place to put it. Does that seem right? We are building an L shaped pool. I'll attach drawing. The "V" is the dedicated vacuum line for the pool cleaner.

We are probably going to buy the Z5 Dolphin robot pool cleaner or the M5 based on my research on this forum.

Attachments

• poolDrawing.jpg
    poolDrawing.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 119
If you buy either of those robots there will be no hose to attach. You can toss them in anywhere you can get electricity to the pool. Ideally, a plug in a safe location near the pool is what you would have for one of those devices.

Yea, choose a more central location for a vac line. Somewhere easy to access from the dry deck with plenty of footing. Nothing wrong with having it, but it wont be for using with a robot.

With no exaggeration, I have not used the vac hose once since the robot arrived. That was less than two weeks of my pool being filled.

+1 on what Patrick says about not having to vacuum after getting a robot.

My personal opinion of course, scratch the pipe for the Polaris unless you fully intend get a polaris.
If you ever have a robot, you will never look back and nothing else will ever do.

Plan B backup until you get another robot if you need to, is to manually vacuum.

Oh boy, just when I thought I had something figured out, I realize I don't. So there are pressure cleaners, suction cleaners, AND robots. I thought that suction cleaners were robots but now some of the things I read that were a bit confusing make more sense. I probably knew this at one point, but have been researching so much about pools, the information got pushed out of my brain to make room for more information...

I would like to have a vacuum or pressure dedicated line installed in the new pool just in case we run out of money and have to wait a bit before buying the robot, and the way things are adding up, that might just happen. Plus I made the mistake of mentioning to my spouse the cost difference between a robot and other cleaners, oops. Now, I might have to wait until my birthday for a robot. When I asked pool builders about having a pressure line vs. vacuum/suction line installed, they knew what a vacuum line was but didn't know what a pressure line was so I thought maybe pressure cleaners were no longer used. I know a pressure cleaner line also requires a booster pump and is therefore more expensive to install. But I also read they handle large leaves better which we unfortunately will have an issue with due to a neighbor's tree we can't control that is right over the future pool. And the tree drops large, really hard seed pod clusters (like 6 large acorns attached with hard stems). Then again, we live in Arizona so fine dust is also a concern. Is there a downside to having a dedicated vacuum/suction line or pressure line installed other than the added cost? Which one would be best for a new pool build? We are not doing an in-ground pool cleaning system. And where would be the best place to have the suction or pressure line placed? BTW, manually cleaning the pool until we can get a robot is not an option because who knows when that will happen and we are busy and very lazy.

manually cleaning the pool until we can get a robot is not an option because who knows when that will happen and we are busy and very lazy.
Sorry, but there are no miracles in pool care. You cannot have a pool with ANY type of cleaner without some manual work.

Do not count on ANY cleaner to pick up a ton of leaves or handle that acorn cluster you speak of.....they won't do it.

Have you read the article on Cleaners in Pool School?

Suction side cleaners are best for smaller pool. Pressure side cleaners are the most common kind but usually require a booster pump. Cleaners with a booster pump use the most electricity of the various kinds. Robotic cleaners cost the most and break down slightly more often than the other two, but also do the best job of cleaning and are the only good choice for very large pools.

Pressure lines are often plumbed with 3/4" pipe, which will not work for a suction cleaner. Suction cleaners use 1 1/2" or 2" pipe (2" is better), which could in theory be converted for a pressure cleaner with some plumbing work. Robots don't need any pipe.

Dust is my worst problem in West Tx. It's really bad in spring/early summer, and often. One of the things that impressed me so much is how well my M5 did with that. I tried the vacuum before he got here and it didn't work that well. It also took a lot of time with less than good results.

As mentioned, you still have to put in some labor, like brushing, and scooping out lots of large debris, but the robot will amaze you. If you think you'll get one, use a credit from the PB on the suction or pressure cleaner toward the robot. In the scheme of an entire pool build, the cost is minuscule.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.