Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete Paver and Travertine seal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete Paver and Travertine seal?

Hello, we have a fiberglass pool (salt) with travertine coping and paver decking. Do we need to seal them? Our pool builder thinks it is not necessary to seal the pavers. Also, they put polymeric sand between the pavers and when it rains, the sand softens up and some of it ends up on the paver surface. According to the pool builder, it is normal. Do you think it is normal to have some loose sand on pavers?
    Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete Paver and Travertine seal?

It's not necessary to seal pavers.

My last pool had them, and I was dealing with "escaping sand" for about the first year until everything calmed down. After that, the sand pretty much stayed where it was.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

You're going to get varying opinions on this and for different reasons.
    So I will give you mine.

I would seal it if it were mine.
    I would do it so protect the pavers and travertine from becoming stained in case
    something were spilled on it.

I would not like sand being on the deck either, so thats another reason I would seal it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. How often do you seal your pavers/travertine? Also, do you do it yourselves or hire a company to do it?