Lawn Mowing Methods

michaelrbanks

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
Any tips for a new pool owner on how to mow around the pool without dumping grass clippings in the water? My current method is to turn on the cleaner & set the pump on high, mow several passes with the discharge facing away from the pool, then skim off whatever ended up in the water. Does anyone do something different?

I mow with the discharge facing away from the pool around the entire back yard.

I start at the pool and work my way out in increasing circles. Very little stuff winds up in the pool unless it's a super windy day. It also helps to start very early in the morning before the wind picks up and the dew dries.

Mulching in the summer and bagging in the winter (leaves). A good mulching mower leaves very little debris on top of the grass which helps prevent grass from being dragged into the pool.

I mow with the discharge facing away. Before I start though I increase the speed on my VS pump.
No matter how hard I try though, I find it difficult to keep grass clipping from getting in the pool.
I mow with a riding mower, which doesn't help the situation either.

This one has been plaguing me for awhile....no matter how careful I am, I still end up with lots of grass clippings in the pool when I mow. When the lawn service does it, nary a wet spec of grass can be found anywhere. What are those guys doing differently than I am doing?

I bag, discharge away from the pool. Tough part is trimming though. I always trim first on any mowing job, but here, I have my wife walk around the pool with something to block flying grass...or most of it from going in. It's impossible to stop it all, but this helps a bunch.

Tear out the In-Ground and put in an Above Ground!!! Problem solved..... lol

The guy about a mile down the road from me has an IG pool and he built a ~2' high wall/bench around the side of his pool facing his yard. It keeps the grass out and gives a nice place to sit plants, drinks, plates, butts....whatever. Its actually pretty nice.

Might I suggest creating a 12-18' rock boarder around your pool this will help by moving the grass away from your pool. This will not solve the problem but less grass will make its way in the pool. Everytime my yard guy mows I'm out there netting my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm out in the country so it can get a bit windy so there are days if the wind is coming towards the pool I just wait a day to mow. I always discharge away from the pool but with the wind it can end up in it anyway. The other side of the pool I don't have to worry about as there is a cement deck and trees so I only have the one direction I pass on mowing if it's blowing.

This one has been plaguing me for awhile....no matter how careful I am, I still end up with lots of grass clippings in the pool when I mow. When the lawn service does it, nary a wet spec of grass can be found anywhere. What are those guys doing differently than I am doing?

They are probably using a $10,000 mower with twice the horsepower and three times the blade tip speed of your mower. Grass clippings vaporized! Unless you have a commercial mower, then I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got so much grass in my pool one time last year that the skimmer basket collapsed from the pump suction. It pulled it down into the skimmer and bent it all up. Luckily it popped right back into place and was fine.

I got so much grass in my pool one time last year that the skimmer basket collapsed from the pump suction. It pulled it down into the skimmer and bent it all up. Luckily it popped right back into place and was fine.

WOW! That is a lot of grass. My skimmer baskets don't even collapse with 253,243,324-1/2 leaves in them.

Reactions: newbie919
Vowing not to make the same mistakes that I made at my last house, I've surrounded my new pool with fake boulders, fake rocks, real rocks, real palm trees, and other assorted miscellany that does not include grass or anything that sheds, needs to be trimmed, or can otherwise end up in my shiny Trouble-free water without some sort of major weather incident!

If I had the $10,000 super-high-speed nuclear-powered lawnmower that n240sxguy talks about, I might have brought grass up closer to the pool. But, alas, I'm stuck with my much-more-modestly-priced Honda push mower, so it's hardscape all the way.

P.S. After some nice weather this week, water temperature is 75°F this afternoon. Move over, Olaf! I just might have start thinking about changing the text in my signature.

They are probably using a $10,000 mower with twice the horsepower and three times the blade tip speed of your mower. Grass clippings vaporized! Unless you have a commercial mower, then I don't know.

N240sxguy is spot on! The commercial mowers have much higher blade speeds. I dropped a sizable amount on a commercial zero turn mower and the difference is night/day. I bag the clippings as well but with the gator mulch blades you probably wouldn't have to.

Use a push mower with bag attachment out to a safe distance. Then fire up the rider finish the remainder of yard and cool off with a dip in your TFP pool. Oh rinse off all the grass before taking that plunge you would not want to get any clipping in you pool

Well, I don't know how big your yard or pool is but here is how I solved my problem, not only with the pool but with anywhere I don't want grass clippings to fly. I too use a mulching mower, but when I cut the edge of the grass I always get clippings out on the path towards the pool. So what I've done is taken an old sheet or two and rolled them up lenghtwise, like those hay barriers the construction crews place around the drains to prevent stuff from flowing into them. I place them not at the edge of the pool, but midway between the edge of the grass and the edge of the pool. This blocks those errant grass clippings from getting in the pool and anywhere else you don't want them. When through, very carefully push the rolled up sheet toward the grass and then shake it off in the grass itself, now you are far enough away from the pool edge to sweep up the remaining grass clippings when you are through. I'll post a pic of what I do, so you can get a better idea. HTH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.