Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lawn Mowing Methods

1. Back To Top    #1

Lawn Mowing Methods

Any tips for a new pool owner on how to mow around the pool without dumping grass clippings in the water? My current method is to turn on the cleaner & set the pump on high, mow several passes with the discharge facing away from the pool, then skim off whatever ended up in the water. Does anyone do something different?
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lawn Mowing Methods

You could do what we do over in AZ ... have gravel yards instead of grass
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I mow with the discharge facing away from the pool around the entire back yard.

I start at the pool and work my way out in increasing circles. Very little stuff winds up in the pool unless it's a super windy day. It also helps to start very early in the morning before the wind picks up and the dew dries.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Mulching in the summer and bagging in the winter (leaves). A good mulching mower leaves very little debris on top of the grass which helps prevent grass from being dragged into the pool.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I mow with the discharge facing away. Before I start though I increase the speed on my VS pump.
    No matter how hard I try though, I find it difficult to keep grass clipping from getting in the pool.
    I mow with a riding mower, which doesn't help the situation either.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

This one has been plaguing me for awhile....no matter how careful I am, I still end up with lots of grass clippings in the pool when I mow. When the lawn service does it, nary a wet spec of grass can be found anywhere. What are those guys doing differently than I am doing?
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

The only answer I can think of is using a mulching mower with a sharp blade and no discharge. Well, the gravel yard probably works best of all!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I bag, discharge away from the pool. Tough part is trimming though. I always trim first on any mowing job, but here, I have my wife walk around the pool with something to block flying grass...or most of it from going in. It's impossible to stop it all, but this helps a bunch.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Tear out the In-Ground and put in an Above Ground!!! Problem solved..... lol

The guy about a mile down the road from me has an IG pool and he built a ~2' high wall/bench around the side of his pool facing his yard. It keeps the grass out and gives a nice place to sit plants, drinks, plates, butts....whatever. Its actually pretty nice.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

10. Back To Top    #10

Might I suggest creating a 12-18' rock boarder around your pool this will help by moving the grass away from your pool. This will not solve the problem but less grass will make its way in the pool. Everytime my yard guy mows I'm out there netting my pool.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I'm out in the country so it can get a bit windy so there are days if the wind is coming towards the pool I just wait a day to mow. I always discharge away from the pool but with the wind it can end up in it anyway. The other side of the pool I don't have to worry about as there is a cement deck and trees so I only have the one direction I pass on mowing if it's blowing.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JayBauman View Post
    This one has been plaguing me for awhile....no matter how careful I am, I still end up with lots of grass clippings in the pool when I mow. When the lawn service does it, nary a wet spec of grass can be found anywhere. What are those guys doing differently than I am doing?
    They are probably using a $10,000 mower with twice the horsepower and three times the blade tip speed of your mower. Grass clippings vaporized! Unless you have a commercial mower, then I don't know.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

I got so much grass in my pool one time last year that the skimmer basket collapsed from the pump suction. It pulled it down into the skimmer and bent it all up. Luckily it popped right back into place and was fine.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    I got so much grass in my pool one time last year that the skimmer basket collapsed from the pump suction. It pulled it down into the skimmer and bent it all up. Luckily it popped right back into place and was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WOW! That is a lot of grass. My skimmer baskets don't even collapse with 253,243,324-1/2 leaves in them.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    WOW! That is a lot of grass. My skimmer baskets don't even collapse with 253,243,324-1/2 leaves in them.
    The basket was completely coated and was about 80% full.

16. Back To Top    #16

Vowing not to make the same mistakes that I made at my last house, I've surrounded my new pool with fake boulders, fake rocks, real rocks, real palm trees, and other assorted miscellany that does not include grass or anything that sheds, needs to be trimmed, or can otherwise end up in my shiny Trouble-free water without some sort of major weather incident!

If I had the $10,000 super-high-speed nuclear-powered lawnmower that n240sxguy talks about, I might have brought grass up closer to the pool. But, alas, I'm stuck with my much-more-modestly-priced Honda push mower, so it's hardscape all the way.

P.S. After some nice weather this week, water temperature is 75°F this afternoon. Move over, Olaf! I just might have start thinking about changing the text in my signature.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    They are probably using a $10,000 mower with twice the horsepower and three times the blade tip speed of your mower. Grass clippings vaporized! Unless you have a commercial mower, then I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    N240sxguy is spot on! The commercial mowers have much higher blade speeds. I dropped a sizable amount on a commercial zero turn mower and the difference is night/day. I bag the clippings as well but with the gator mulch blades you probably wouldn't have to.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

18. Back To Top    #18

Use a push mower with bag attachment out to a safe distance. Then fire up the rider finish the remainder of yard and cool off with a dip in your TFP pool. Oh rinse off all the grass before taking that plunge you would not want to get any clipping in you pool
    24' Reprieve RD/AG/13K gal Vinyl TFP method
    Waterway Clearwater 175 sqft Cartridge
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 Test Kit SpeedStir Borate Insta Test
    Spreading TFP to All

19. Back To Top    #19

Well, I don't know how big your yard or pool is but here is how I solved my problem, not only with the pool but with anywhere I don't want grass clippings to fly. I too use a mulching mower, but when I cut the edge of the grass I always get clippings out on the path towards the pool. So what I've done is taken an old sheet or two and rolled them up lenghtwise, like those hay barriers the construction crews place around the drains to prevent stuff from flowing into them. I place them not at the edge of the pool, but midway between the edge of the grass and the edge of the pool. This blocks those errant grass clippings from getting in the pool and anywhere else you don't want them. When through, very carefully push the rolled up sheet toward the grass and then shake it off in the grass itself, now you are far enough away from the pool edge to sweep up the remaining grass clippings when you are through. I'll post a pic of what I do, so you can get a better idea. HTH.
    17.5K IG Pool with Spa spillover and fountain, Plaster Finish, Purex Triton CC420 Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo XF VS motor, Laars LX GasHeater, Polaris 360