Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White Ring Around Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

White Ring Around Pool

I've noticed a white haze around my pool rock work & tile. Suggestions on what's causing this & how to remedy it?
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White Ring Around Pool

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, whatever is in your water (dissolved minerals) are being left behind when water dries. How you manage your chemistry can have some effect on waterline scale, but you can't stop it entirely.

I have a friend around Lavernia and his water is very soft. Yours may be very good as well. How long has this pool been in service?

Start with the information in Pool School. Begin with the ABCs and work from there. This is a good place to start in terms of learning how to manage water chemistry for your pool.

Edit:
    If you are ahead of that, post back with some recent numbers and how you are currently testing/managing your water.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Water evaporates and the hard minerals do not. You can minimize it through well balanced chemistry, but never eliminate it entirely.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The remedy is not a cure but a reasonable fix......diluted muriatic (about 2:1) wipe on the affected area and then rinsed.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

@Patrick_B,

The pool opened 9/15/14, so it's pretty new - I haven't even had a chance to swim before the weather started changing! I'm using bleach (8.25%), Muriatic acid (31.45%) and baking soda to adjust levels since it opened based on the Pool Pal app for Android. It has a template for TFP recommended levels. My last measurements from about a week ago were as follows: Temp-53.0F, FC-1.5, pH-8.0. I added 38oz bleach and 21oz acid. I'm currently out of reagent for TA, but when I tested last time on Feb 1, it was 90. It seems like I add a lot of acid, but I expect that's due to the age of the PebbleTec...
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by michaelrbanks View Post
    I'm currently out of reagent for TA
    Hint Hint ... tftestkit.net refills are on sale now
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

The pH is one of the most important things you can do for a pool, and especially this. Focus on that and keep it no higher than 7.8. Do your best to maintain it a little lower and it will help some. Focus on pH before TA. Being blunt and honest, you'll never eliminate this and it's going to show more on your waterline than most that have glazed tile. The porous rock on your waterline will be harder to clean as well. It's not to say I don't like it, quite the opposite. It's just that it will hold and soak up more water, and the minerals will show more when that water dries. It may clean up some with the method Dave suggests above.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem