Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GL 235 Solar Controller blowing fuses

1. Back To Top    #1

GL 235 Solar Controller blowing fuses

Hi,
    I am not sure how old the controller is, as we just bought the house about 16 months ago, but it has worked fine up until now. A couple days ago I noticed the power light was not on. My pump and SWG system was on and running, so it wasn't the breaker. I pulled the panel off and found the 2 amp fuse was burned, so I replaced it and everything looked fine.

The next day, no power light again and another burnt fuse. Does this mean the circuit board has gone on it? Anyone have any suggestions? I priced circuit board repair at around $95, and a new controller at (the valve seems fine) at $198, so am hoping there is an alternative cause.

Thanks in advance!
    AronInLHP

14k 30'X15'/ IG, new Pentair Clean & Clear 100 sqft cartridge filter, 1 hp Sta-Rite pump, solar heated (90o in March!) w/GL 235 Solar Controller, new Hayward Blue Essence SWG, Zodiac MX 8 sweeper, Lighthouse Point FL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: GL 235 Solar Controller blowing fuses

It could be a bad valve actuator blowing the fuse when it switches. I'd try disconnecting the valve actuator(s) and see if it still blows the fuse.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    It could be a bad valve actuator blowing the fuse when it switches. I'd try disconnecting the valve actuator(s) and see if it still blows the fuse.
    Thank you I will try that!
    AronInLHP

14k 30'X15'/ IG, new Pentair Clean & Clear 100 sqft cartridge filter, 1 hp Sta-Rite pump, solar heated (90o in March!) w/GL 235 Solar Controller, new Hayward Blue Essence SWG, Zodiac MX 8 sweeper, Lighthouse Point FL

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by agladney View Post
    Thank you I will try that!
    Okay I set the actuator in the off position, put a new fuse in and all was well. However as soon as I turn the actuator back to the on position, the fuse blew.

So, should I replace the whole actuator, or just the actuator motor assembly?

Thanks again for your help!
    AronInLHP

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd check to make sure the wires in the actuator aren't shorted and if they're not I'd replace the actuator. I suspect that the motor assembly will be about as much as a complete unit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    I'd check to make sure the wires in the actuator aren't shorted and if they're not I'd replace the actuator. I suspect that the motor assembly will be about as much as a complete unit.
    Well, fun fun fun. I took the actuator off, Opened it up and lo and behold there was a little bit of water in there! I'm not sure if I can dry it out as the capacitor looks a little soggy, unless I can just replace that? The water was only in the bottom so it wasn't near the actual motor, but definitely was over the switch at the bottom. So maybe the switch was shorting out the controller before damaging the motor?

Guess I was lax in lubricating the activator shaft under the handle annually as recommended in the manual I found online, argh!
    AronInLHP

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by AronInLHP View Post
    Well, fun fun fun. I took the actuator off, Opened it up and lo and behold there was a little bit of water in there! I'm not sure if I can dry it out as the capacitor looks a little soggy, unless I can just replace that? The water was only in the bottom so it wasn't near the actual motor, but definitely was over the switch at the bottom. So maybe the switch was shorting out the controller before damaging the motor?

Guess I was lax in lubricating the activator shaft under the handle annually as recommended in the manual I found online, argh!
    Well, I searched everywhere for a 33uF 100v capacitor with no joy. There was no guarantee anyway that that would have solved the problem anyway, so I did some shopping for a new actuator and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-PE2...valve+actuator

It's only $85, way less than other brands, and gets good reviews from purchasers. Any experiences with the Intermatic PE24VA actuator before I order it?
    Thanks again!
    AronInLHP

8. Back To Top    #8

Digikey.com has just about every capacitor there is. Though I agree it is a long shot.

The Intermatic actuators are well reviewed both here and on Amazon.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks again! Got the new actuator in the post yesterday, slapped it in this morning and all is good!
    AronInLHP