Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New construction: Retaining wall on slope or not/ circulation questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Georgetown Texas

New construction: Retaining wall on slope or not/ circulation questions

I'm so glad I found this site! We are getting bids for a new in ground pool nort of Austin ,TX and I have construction differences on 2 bids. First, our property has a 1' slope difference. PB1 has 24' of retaining walls while PB2 is bidding 8-10" walls and floor with 12" where out of ground. The removed dirt will be used to back fill where out of ground and exposed wall to. Be sponge finish stucco. PB2 is coming in $10k cheaper. They are both putting drainage lines in to rout the heavy rain water to the low side of the pool.

The second question is about the plumbing. PB1 is using 3" sch 40 PVC ' 2 indep plumed skimmers, 5 slotted inlets looped. PB2 will use 2" sch 40 PVC, 1 large capacity basket skimmer, 4 inlet returns. I'm worried PB1 won't have enough to keep the water circulating and cleaning. As everyone in this area, we have a lot of oak trees. Our porperty is 3 acres so there will be a lot of leaves.

Any help ya'll can lend would be greatly appreciated. We're both retired and looking for a good basic pool to help my husband adjust to life from his home of Seattle to the hot summers here.

Barbara a
    New construction/15x25, 12,639 gal/rectangle 3.5'x6'x5'/ig/plaster/pebble/325 cartridge filter/1.5 hp Haywood pump/zodiac cleaner/in line chlorination/1 light/dual main drain/4inlet returns/2"pic pipe.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New construction: Retaining wall on slope or not/ circulation questions

Welcome to TFP!

Both approaches, on both questions, sound reasonable, unless there are additional constraints you haven't mentioned.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

We have a slope of about 2' from one side of the pool to the other over 41' or so, we did 12" all the way around and put flagstone on the 2/3s of the pool that is sticking out of the ground. No retaining walls. I would go with 2 skimmers, one downwind in winter and one in summer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Central MD

With three acres, and presuming you have some nice space around the pool, you certainly don't need any retaining walls for a 1' grade change. unless for other reasons. You can just grade up to the edge to reduce costs. Just feather it out a much as you want/need to make it look nice. You will have an unlimited supply of dirt to do it with, trust me. Don't let them take all your dirt if you need it.

We graded up massively on the back side of our pool.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Groundbreaking: 2/14/13 | Plaster: 5/21/2013 | First Swim: 5/30/2013