Enlarging a spa

Jul 6, 2012
Austin, TX
My wife wants us to have our jacuzzi increased in size. It is built into the side of our pool. How difficult of a job is it to expand a spa? I'm assuming the existing plumbing can be used but the rest of the spa will need to be demo'd and then rebuilt bigger.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Thats not a question we see every day, and I don't know if I can say more than the obvious. This will be quite a project. No chance you can live with the current size? You may not be able to access the existing plumbing without destroying too much of it. That's just the tip of the iceberg I'm thinking.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Thats not a question we see every day, and I don't know if I can say more than the obvious. This will be quite a project. No chance you can live with the current size? You may not be able to access the existing plumbing without destroying too much of it. That's just the tip of the iceberg I'm thinking.

I can live with it but I'm not sure about my wife. One idea I had was to covert the spa into a decorative waterfall and just build a new spa next to the pool.

A friend of ours expanded their gunite pool, made it bigger and deeper. PB cut the wall out, probably about 1/3 of it. Drilled holes in the old wall for rebar and the rest looked like a regular pool build, rebar, plumb, gunite, etc. This was 2 or 3 years ago and all is well. It can definitely be done.

I can live with it but I'm not sure about my wife. One idea I had was to covert the spa into a decorative waterfall and just build a new spa next to the pool.

That might be an idea. Don't be surprised if just adding a spa runs about 15k, depending on what you want. As with most things though, with enough time and money you can do pretty much anything like this.

Expanding a built-in spa is certainly possible, but it tends to get very expensive. First they have to cut out roughly half the spa, replace nearly all of the spa plumbing, pour or spray concrete for the new spa, and replaster the entire spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.