Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: yet another CH question

1. Back To Top    #1

yet another CH question

Inground pool replastered last year 3/14, Santa Barbara city fill water hard, CH 400, last august it was 475+-, slacked off on CH testing over winter, probably let the ph get to high, now at 725+-.

current reading

TA 110
    PH 7.5
    CYA 35
    FC 5-6
    CH 725
    CSi .3 (high end of the "ok" range)

Water is crystal clear, we're in a major drought here in SoCal, really don't want to dump half of 14,500 gal to get the CH down to the 570+- range, and refilling entirely would be nearly immoral given the drought conditions.

What are my best options to keep CH from climbing any more?

thanks, Brian
    15,000 ig plaster (kidney shape approx 30'x16'), Hayward 1.5hp "Max-flo" pump, Hayward DE filter(48 sq. ft effective filtration area, 96gpm, 6lbs DE), TF-100 Santa Barbara, CA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: yet another CH question

There aren't many options, and none of them are exactly simple, but here are some suggestions:

You can top off evaporation with water from a water softener, instead of regular tap water.

You can gather rain water and do water replacement without using tap water.

You can cover the pool with a solar cover most of the time to minimize evaporation.

It is possible to manage CH levels up to roughly 1,000 ppm, though it takes increasing amounts of attention as the CH level goes up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I use pool water on the lawn and refill it with what would have been used for irrigation. You do lose some CYA, but that gives room to use a floater with trichlor pucks when leaving town without fear of raising CYA too high.

Another note: if you're testing CH by hand, it may not be that high. My CH reading dropped 200 ppm when I switched to testing with a speedstir.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

The unfortunate truth is not much, but Jason pretty well covered your only options. CH only increases with evaporation and only goes down when you add a water source containing less. If it isn't a good deal less, it's difficult to outrun the increase. I suffer the same problem with as do many of us. My well gives me 700+ CH.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Another quick question. Does an elevated pH increase CH in the first year of a pool replaster? I ask this in relationship to the plaster curing over the first year and am wondering if for some reason the pH rise during the cure period has something to do with rising the CH.

I do have a solar cover(although not used 100% of the time) so evaporation has not been a big factor, that and the little rain we've had has not required adding city fill water to the pool. Going forward I'll keep the pool covered except when we're in it. I'll get a speedstir as well, fingers crossed.

thanks for the all the advice, it's much appreciated.

Brian
    15,000 ig plaster (kidney shape approx 30'x16'), Hayward 1.5hp "Max-flo" pump, Hayward DE filter(48 sq. ft effective filtration area, 96gpm, 6lbs DE), TF-100 Santa Barbara, CA

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Does an elevated pH increase CH
    No, but you never want your pH elevated (above 7.8) anyway and especially during the first year.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

As plaster cures it raises PH, TA, and CH levels. The PH changes are fairly obvious, but the other two go up as well. This typically lasts about a year after the plaster is applied, quickly during the first month, and more slowly for roughly a year.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    No, but you never want your pH elevated (above 7.8) anyway and especially during the first year.
    OK, I'm curious, why is that?

thanks, Brian

9. Back To Top    #9

High PH levels lead to calcium scaling and metal stains. There are other factors involved, so high PH doesn't guarantee trouble, but it makes it so much more likely that it is good to be in the habit of keeping the PH under control.