Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuuming - never done it before!

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuuming - never done it before!

I have some fine sand/dirt in the bottom of the pool - I'm assuming it's not DE but you never know! I guess I need to vacuum it and I have the hose to fit to the weir basket and the vacuum brush head and know that I need to fill the hose with water etc and the mechanics of the vacuuming.

My question is will vacuuming this fine sand damage the pump? I guess I have no choice but is there a filter or something that can catch the sand (perhaps in the pump basket) before it hits the pump?

Also, do I vacuum to the filter or vacuum to waste?
    16,000 gal gunite in ground pool/spa with SWCG (CompuPool cell & Aqua Rite), gas heater, Hayward DE filter, 2hp Hayward pump and Aqua Link controls.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuuming - never done it before!

If you have larger debris, you would want to have a leaf catcher or similar in place. If it is just a little dirt, then there is no problem just vacuuming it up.

You can vacuum to waste or to the filter, you will lose a lot of water going to waste though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If it isn't much go to the filter. It won't hurt the pump.

If you ever become tired of vacuuming, buy a good robot. I haven't done it once since I got mine.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

the pump itself is a sealed unit. Like has been said, you could only gunk up and block the impeller on the "wet" end. Then you have issues!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a pool cleaner - I think it's a Polaris 300 or something and it has its own pump. All it does is pick up leaves and large debris so really all that is left is the sand. Should it be picking up the sand also? I can't imagine how since it only has one line going to it... What kind of robot should I get?
    16,000 gal gunite in ground pool/spa with SWCG (CompuPool cell & Aqua Rite), gas heater, Hayward DE filter, 2hp Hayward pump and Aqua Link controls.

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think they do well on dirt/dust on the bottom. I'm partial to Dolphin robots, but check out the cleaner forum here and do some looking around. Lots of cleaner talk over there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

I actually like vacuuming my pool. I put on goggles and dive down deep and use the hand held cleaner and make sure i get it all. Sometimes i use a cheap snorkel and stay under for 5 or 10 mins. Maybe I'm weird, but i get enjoyment out of it....LOL Might be harder on a pool with a deep end though.

And i vacuum straight to the filter unless I need to drain some, then i turn it to waste and drop the water level a bit. It all comes out when I backwash anyway.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM