Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2-Speed Motor Replacement?

1. Back To Top    #1

2-Speed Motor Replacement?

Hello All,

I am brand new to the forum and have an interest in replacing my pump for energy costs. Our electric pricing is two tiered with the upper tier (we always hit) having a rate of $0.11/kW. I was initially looking at a VS pump but found out that a 2-speed upgrade may be an option. The pump is a Pentair SuperFlo 2 HP, below is the label. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    18'x36', 24k gal IG; Pentair SuperFlo 1HP 2 speed pump; Pentair 200 Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2-Speed Motor Replacement?

Welcome to TFP!!!

That electrical cost sure does not really warrant a VS pump, so a 2-speed is a better choice. Is there anything wrong with your existing pump? Replacing even just the motor when you already have a functioning pump is not likely to save you money in the long run ... meaning, you are going to spend ~$300 to save a a few $10s each month ... likely to take multiple years to save more then you spend.

Can you provide more details about your pool? Do you have any higher flow needs? The reason I ask is that a 2.2 SFHP pump may be more than you need and you could save more by going with a smaller 2-speed motor and impeller.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add, IMO your filter is too small. Something closer to 325 sqft would be a better fit for your pool size and length of season.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was thinking it might be overpowered for this pool. Nothing wrong with the pump currently. The pump and pool are at the same grade and there is a basic water feature that I don't normally use. I'm planning on purchasing a robotic cleaner at some point.

I was estimating that my monthly cost to operate this pump is about $70.
    18'x36', 24k gal IG; Pentair SuperFlo 1HP 2 speed pump; Pentair 200 Cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Easiest way to save money on electricity is to not run the pump How long do you run the pump? Have you read this: Determine Pump Run Time

I would think you could go with the 1HP 2-speed motor and a 1HP impeller (and a new shaft seal). That would give you the equivalent of the pump I have and just save this motor as an emergency back-up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

It looks like I'm running the pump to long. Was going 6 hours in the winter 8 in the summer.

Would this motor fit?
    http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-355003.../dp/B008HLLOMW

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah that would fit. There are non Pentair motors as well that would work. Don't forget you need to get the 1HP impeller if you are going to make the motor smaller. And you need a new shaft seal at the minimum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Is there a good place to purchase those parts? Does that price seem good for the motor replacement?

Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

Price seemed cheaper than I expected, but not sure if it is a good deal ... my quick search did not find anything cheaper.

The impeller you need is: Pentair 355067 (~$25)

Just do a search for Superflo shaft seal ... and either just get that seal or the kit that includes all the o-rings.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Should I be worried about this pump being too small or with dynamic head? The pool has a non functional electric heat pump in line and the water feature.

10. Back To Top    #10

As long as you don't have a spa, waterfall, fountain, or other large water feature that you haven't mentioned, and change the impeller, the proposed motor should be just fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School