Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice for pool finish application

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice for pool finish application

Hi I'm getting towards the end of a six month long project building my pool in SE Mexico and for my sins decided to use a quartz finish. I'm looking for any advice I can get regarding the application of Kristal Krete. I have seen videos from Diamond Brite which I assume is a similar proceedure but all I can find for Kristal Krete is "Use a company trained installer" of which we have none!. We will be mixing using a motorized cement mixer and moving by wheel barrow or buckets. My crew have experience finishing walls with concrete and plaster but not including quartz. I understand an acid wash prior to starting is normal and we should work to approx 3/8"-1/2" thickness, starting in shaded areas towards sunnier areas, keeping the walls and floor damp and finishing the same day, followed as soon as possible by filling with water. Apart from one worker who once worked on a similar finish once in Cancun some years ago; that's the extent of our experience, so any input would be very much appreciated.
    42K Poured Concrete, Quartz, 4XJetpacks in integrated spa. 3XIntelliflo, Cartridge Filter 420. IntelliTouch+I9+3+iS10 Spa control. Intellichlor IC60, Intellichem+CO2 injection. 9XIntellibrite 5G LEDs HE-150 Heat Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice for pool finish application

Welcome,

If you mean previous experience with pool plaster application, the tecniques really won't vary from plain plaster versus Quartz. Is that what you mean?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

The process of troweling the surface is a little different. I have no clue how to explain it in words, but there is a certain movement that helps the quartz be more uniformly near the surface, which gives a better final appearance.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I can't explain it either, but it's called hard troweling. Then something about bringing the cream to the surface. Then ragging, and some complete it with an acid wash and pressure spray. There is an excellent vid on YouTube about it. I'll see if I can find it.

This aspect of pool construction is very interesting to me, but it's almost an afterthought sometimes, and it's a really important part of the whole process.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is the YouTube link I mentioned. It is a most excellent and very informative video.

Quartz Application Video
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses, I watched the video which is pretty clear showing the process, now I'll spend another 6 months looking for spiked shoes and bent trowels, just joking. The one thing Mexicans are good at is improvising. In a while (that's manaņa) I'll post some photos to show how it went.
    42K Poured Concrete, Quartz, 4XJetpacks in integrated spa. 3XIntelliflo, Cartridge Filter 420. IntelliTouch+I9+3+iS10 Spa control. Intellichlor IC60, Intellichem+CO2 injection. 9XIntellibrite 5G LEDs HE-150 Heat Pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Please do. We would love to see it!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: