Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

In the Chicagoland & NW Indiana area, American Sale has liquid pool shock 12.5% for $2.49/gal. I'm watching Menard's for their sale, which in the past was cheaper per gallon than the American Sale price.

The cents per ounce is really cents per ounce per percent chlorine (as a fraction). To more accurately compare, one should use a consistent percentage of Trade % rather than Weight %. Chlorinating liquid is usually quoted in Trade % (% Available Chlorine by Volume) while bleach is usually quoted with weight %. 6% bleach is 6.17% Trade. 8.25% bleach is 8.64% Trade.

Prices should also be consistent in terms of pre-tax vs. including tax. I presume that the prices listed are pre-tax.

California: Herb's Pool Service in San Rafael (and Petaluma) Refillable 4 gallons of 12.5% for $17.32. 27.1 cents/oz./%

Prices went up substantially around the end of last year. It used to be $15.40 until recently. I'm going to go to Orchard Supply Hardware and to Home Depot to get some more comparison prices though those are not refillable containers (i.e. you need to recycle them).

In the SF Bay Area, I got a 2-pack (gallons) HTH 10% for $6.50 at Walmart. Seems like about the same value as Herb's, but I have a tub so I prefer the lower % and smaller volume.

Meijer (the Michigan Meijer stores, anyway) is running the following special until 5/24: Buy $15 of any Meijer laundry product and get a $5 coupon off your next Meijer laundry purchase. Their Meijer brand bleach is $3.19 per 121 oz. bottle of 8.25% bleach (pre-tax), so if you buy 5 bottles, you get the $5 off coupon and can use it to buy more later.

You folks are going to have to do your own due diligence, but.... Locally, we have a small chain of grocery stores called "Hill's." They carry a brand called "Our Family" and that bleach, at 5.25% is $1.39/gal. This is a SpartanNash brand, which is distributed through much of the nation..... so. maybe you have the product locally, but I have no clue of the pricing in your back yard....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Orange County NY, Ollie's has the Austin pool shock 12.5% at 2.99 / Gallon, but I'm not sure how old the stuff is? Does anyone know if Ollie's stuff is older material?

Also, pretty consistent here is Walmart with HTH 10% Chlorine 2 Gallons for $6.47, which is a pretty good deal.

Pierre

It appears that Costco has finally reduced their price on the 3-pack of Clorox 121oz 8.25%. It was running around $9.50, but yesterday it was about $8.67. That put it a $2.89 a bottle. Ten cents less expensive than WalMart Great Valu, but not so much that I would make a special trip.

I am surprised so many people go with bleach versus liquid chlorine from the hardware store.

I get 5 gallon jugs of 12.5% for under $14. Compare that to 5 gallon jugs of 8.25% from Walmart for $15 and it is basically 50% more chlorine for $1 less if you buy the big jug.

They also sell 2.5 gallon jugs for $7.50 so i usually spend the extra $1 for the convenience of the smaller jug.

I am surprised so many people go with bleach versus liquid chlorine from the hardware store.

I get 5 gallon jugs of 12.5% for under $14. Compare that to 5 gallon jugs of 8.25% from Walmart for $15 and it is basically 50% more chlorine for $1 less if you buy the big jug.

They also sell 2.5 gallon jugs for $7.50 so i usually spend the extra $1 for the convenience of the smaller jug.

I wish the Ace in Orlando had good prices on chlorine or even better, they sold it in bulk but they do not.

I don't mind lifting the 2.5 gallon container but when it's full, the chlorine spills everywhere, even the jugs with a vent spout. Some people use a siphon but in my cheapness, I just cut the bottom off a bleach jug, flipped it over and I now have a great funnel. A little still spills but nothing like it did before.

Not all areas of the country sell higher % liquid chlorine. Except in industrial supply, which will not sell to consumers 10/12.5% is not available in South Carolina.

Lowes/Home Depot "sometimes" have it, but I'm unwilling to trust their handling of the product. it's usually located outside in the sun in outside garden.

Not all areas of the country sell higher % liquid chlorine. Except in industrial supply, which will not sell to consumers 10/12.5% is not available in South Carolina.

Some have it! Ollies in Myrtle has 10.5% and at least one of the pool stores in Little River carries 12.5%...... But, you are right, where others report that hardware stores carry "pool chlorine," I've yet to find any place in NC or SC....

Some have it! Ollies in Myrtle has 10.5% and at least one of the pool stores in Little River carries 12.5%...... But, you are right, where others report that hardware stores carry "pool chlorine," I've yet to find any place in NC or SC....
I guess at some point I'll have to drive to the far side of Columbia to check out this "Ollies" that everyone talks about.

I'm an old Florida guy and can't understand pool stores not having stacks of carboys ready to carry out the door....

Yeah, I'm kinda new to Ollies, too, but don't make a long trip without calling. They only have chlorine seasonally, and then, it seems to be not all that cheap, when compared with Food lion. Ollies buys "lots" of stuff (think "Big Lots") and when they have it they have it. Otherwise, they don't.

If you aren't in Lower NC or Upper SC, YMMV....

Re: Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine - Baton Rouge, La.

In Baton Rouge, La., we have a new Pinch-a-Penny pool store..$5.00 for 2.5 gal refillable container..$7.00 to fill with 13% and every tenth refill is free. They also give you a tray that holds two containers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support