Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBB for Beginners

1. Back To Top    #1

BBB for Beginners

I to just got a new pool! Well we begin to fill tomorrow. Been lurking until now and studying alot online. I think the TFPC / BBB method is for me. So my first question is do I not need the chlorine tablet feeder they installed? Is it possible to use the TFPC method along with the tablet feeder or am I defeating the purpose of TFPC?

Message moved by Divin Dave - TFP Moderator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBB for Beginners

I would only use the feeder when you are found to be gone for an extended time. For daily chlorination, I say, just stick to TFPC.
    Welcome to the forum!
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi rphpool,
    welcome to TFP,

Stick with the TFP method of using chlorine. Using primarily the tabs can lead to undesirably high CYA levels.

Hope this helps!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

BBB for Beginners

Welcome to TFP !
    To be able to practice our methods your going to need one of these Test Kits.
    I use the TF 100. It's the best value.
    The pucks have their place like when your on vacation and can't manually dose with bleach if you go that route.
    If you haven't already, make sure to take some time and take a look at these two articles from Pool School.
    ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
    How To Chlorinate Your Pool.
    Any question you have ask away.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the forum rph,

Having the In-line chlorinator would be fine for limited use as Jeff mentions. It's only when you use it as your permanent and sole source of chlorine that you get into trouble. If you want it, it wouldn't defeat the purpose of what we teach.

Mostly what that amounts too, is learning what different chemicals are for, what they do, and what side effects adding them brings to your pool. By a pretty good margin, the most common problem we see here is people with high Cya/over stabilized pools. That happens because people used pucks and "shock" as the primary chlorine source which adds that compound. It's by far the most common side effect problem we see.

We stress the basics first, learning, understanding, and testing. Begin with the ABCs in pool school, and work your way from there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Here's how I'm using my inline puck chlorinator....I filled my pool last December. My SWG isn't very effective with the cold temperatures we've had this winter, so I'm using pucks until whichever comes first:
    a) water gets consistently warm enough for SWG; or
    b) my CYA gets up to my target value

Since I get my CYA from the pucks, I haven't had to purchase any stabilizer. In fact, I plan to use my inline feeder to keep my CYA at target levels throughout the summer as I replace water that gets splashed out. With a house-full of kids and dogs, we lose a lot of water in addition to the regular Houston evaporation.

So pucks-n-inline feeders aren't completely evil. Just mostly evil.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

That tablet feeder is just another tool in your arsenal to properly manage your pool. Gonna be gone for a few days--------use it. Need to raise CYA a bit--------use it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JayBauman View Post
    Here's how I'm using my inline puck chlorinator....I filled my pool last December. My SWG isn't very effective with the cold temperatures we've had this winter, so I'm using pucks until whichever comes first:
    a) water gets consistently warm enough for SWG; or
    b) my CYA gets up to my target value

Since I get my CYA from the pucks, I haven't had to purchase any stabilizer. In fact, I plan to use my inline feeder to keep my CYA at target levels throughout the summer as I replace water that gets splashed out. With a house-full of kids and dogs, we lose a lot of water in addition to the regular Houston evaporation.

So pucks-n-inline feeders aren't completely evil. Just mostly evil.
    I like this idea to get CYA and chlorine from pucks when it is cold. I am buying bleach and stabilizer at the moment. I will try this next.

But, seriously, how can water evaporate with 200% humidity? A bunch of my outlaws live in Houston and I think the air fills their pools.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    But, seriously, how can water evaporate with 200% humidity? A bunch of my outlaws live in Houston and I think the air fills their pools.
    I'm sure that during the humid summertime there is a net flux of water from air into the pool. The water level probably goes down when the various Gulf Coast bugs come out at night to slake their thirst. Have you seen the size of the insects that we have around here? They're probably draining my pool dry. Sometimes I'm worried that my pug might get carried off by one of those things!
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the replies. It is now 2 weeks since first filling pool and I have not been able to get Ph below 7.8 for any length of time ( I add about 16-20 oz per day ). IT JUST KEEPS RAINING !!!. I guess this is normal because of dilution. My pool builder has said no chlorine yet because Pebble Sheen is curing and still "shedding". The water is crystal clear though! I have an elavated spa that has a water fall. Do you think the aereation it causes is not letting my Ph go lower?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by rphpool View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. It is now 2 weeks since first filling pool and I have not been able to get Ph below 7.8 for any length of time ( I add about 16-20 oz per day ). IT JUST KEEPS RAINING !!!. I guess this is normal because of dilution. My pool builder has said no chlorine yet because Pebble Sheen is curing and still "shedding". The water is crystal clear though! I have an elavated spa that has a water fall. Do you think the aereation it causes is not letting my Ph go lower?
    yes, the waterfall aeration causes the pH to rise - but it is probably the curing plaster that is causing more of it. It will continue during your first year before it settles down
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Rphpool
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!