Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical Storage Areas

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemical Storage Areas

So, I need a little help from somebody with a better memory than me. I know it is illegal to have a chemical storage area that is separated by a permeable barrier (like an indoor fence/gate). You need a solid barrier or the rest of the area is considered chemical storage as well. I know this, but I cannot remember the law or even if it is a federal or state thing (state is NJ). Anybody know where I can find it?
    Two IG pools, 40,000 gallons each
    One plaster, One concrete
    Sand Filters
    Pentair 100c filters

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical Storage Areas

Are you talking commercial or residential? And storing what?

For a residential pool, nothing you are remotely likely to have on hand is going to trigger the special storage area requirements.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It's not commercial or residential. Borough pools run by the local government. So for the most part, same regulations as commercial/public pools.
    Sand Filters
    Pentair 100c filters

4. Back To Top    #4

Something I have thought about for myself was one of those outdoor storage sheds they sell at Costco. Have you considered those? They are all wood sides, so I believe that would be meet any requirements. Also, they have those large Rubbermaid sheds at the BBS such as Lowes & Hm Depot, but those could possibly warp w/ extreme heat/sun, but I believe it would take years for that too happen. The wooden ones they sell at Costco downside they have to be painted every so often to protect the wood. But, they will last.

I know out in CA here, the ones they sell at/through Costco were part of one of those road shows. So, while it may not be a regularly sold item, they should have it every so often.
    19k gal IG plaster, built '70s, probably resurfaced in '80s-'90s; Blue Haven Hayward filter C4520BHMB (Filbur FC-1275 cartridges); Hayward MaxFlo sp2302 VSP 1.5hp; 6 solar panels 288. sq. ft. total (142"x47.5" ea.) on 1 story hm; Pentair Compool LX220 Solar Controller; FlowVis flow meter; Maytronics Dolphin S200; AG 300 gal AquaTerra spa; TF-100 & Speedstir; gone: Pentair Challenger 3/4 HP 1 speed; Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

Since its a burough pool available to the public I presume, and people work there, it will most likely be subject to at least OSHA regulations. Possibly others as well, depending on what is being stored.

The types of storage areas, lockers, buildings, etc are also subject to the type of chemicals/ materials stored in them.

Im not quite sure you will find your answer on the TFP forum, but I wish you luck in finding it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

It may fall under Haz Com CFR 1910 regulations then. If it does, we can't advise you properly. You'd better check with your local agency in this case.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the ideas on places to look. And don't worry Patrick, I already know what to do, and already did it. I just was trying to remember where the law is because the current project I'm working on at these pools is "Stop breaking laws." It's a project that got held up with old management. I'm trying to cite all the recreational bathing code and other laws in my list of all the stuff I'm fixing.
    Sand Filters
    Pentair 100c filters