Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Consistent High pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Consistent High pH

I seem to be having trouble with keeping my pH in the 7.4 to 7.6 range... I've been adding about 30 to 50 ounces of dry acid every three weeks or so to keep the pH from going over 8. Is that normal? And what might be driving it up? Could the Pebble Tec finish be causing it? All of my other parameters have been nice and stable ever since I did the water change out (to address a high CYA problem I inherited from the previous owner) over two months ago. Here are the most recent readings:

FC 3
    CC 0
    pH 7.8
    TA 90
    CH 225
    CYA 60
    Temp 58F

Thoughts?
    26K gal, IG Pebble Tec, 2 HP Jandy Pump, 420 sqft filter (Durex Triton C&C Plus with 4 PCC105 Pleatco filters), Barracuda G3 Vacuum, build date unknown, using Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Consistent High pH

Yes, I'm guessing your fill water TA is fairly high?

Have you considered using liquid MA (Muriatic Acid) instead? It's advisable, because it's more economical and your dry acid is like adding Sulphates.

Lastly, that isn't much acid addition to be honest with you.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Regardless of the cause, I would do what it takes to keep my pH below 8.0 at all times

Is there a reason you are using dry acid over muriatic?

How long has this been happening? Your pool is over 2 years old at least, right?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have any water features / spa?
    Do you have a SWG?
    Both of those can drive the pH up.
    Plaster < 1 year old can as well ... does not sound like the case here.
    Also the colder water will tend to drive the pH up.

How are you chlorinating?
    Your TA is a little higher than we might suggest, the pH would not rise as fast if it was lower.

I recommend you start using muriatic acid so you are not building up sulphates in the water by using the dry acid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

That is a reasonable amount of acid to add every 3 weeks or so for a 26k pool I think.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    That is a reasonable amount of acid to add every 3 weeks or so for a 26k pool I think.
    I'd say it's low. 50 oz of dry acid is a bit over a quart of liquid. I add that much to a 16K pool every week during the summer!

JPhresh, test your tap water. I'll bet it has high TA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Typical dry acid is a bit weaker, and the cost gets you. It would be a slow build at your rate, but it's still best not to build up Sulphates in the pool. One part of our philosophy is minimizing side effects, and dry acid falls in that category.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

As you add acid, your TA will usually drop, unless you're adding a lot of high TA fill water. If you're adding bicarb to raise the TA back up, that will cause the ph to continue to rise. The pH rises some on addition of the bicarb and then it rises more over time as the high level of bicarb in the water converts into carbon dioxide and off gasses.

Try keeping your TA at about 60 and the pH at about 7.7 to 7.8.

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow -- thanks for all the responses! I will definitely switch over to muriatic acid. I was using dry acid because I inherited a large supply, but that's pretty much gone now. I'm chlorinating using liquid chlorine (10%).

Otherwise, I don't think I have any of the conditions suggested above that might cause higher pH. The pool was installed long ago and the last refinish was done over five years ago. No water features. Not sure what a SWG is, though!

I tested my tap water before I did the change-out and the TA is 90, which matches what I now have in the pool, of course. Sounds like the TA will drop as I add acid, but if there's something else I can/should do to bring down the TA, please advise!

Otherwise, it seems my chemistry is behaving normally and I just need to stay the course of monitoring and adjusting pH as needed.
    26K gal, IG Pebble Tec, 2 HP Jandy Pump, 420 sqft filter (Durex Triton C&C Plus with 4 PCC105 Pleatco filters), Barracuda G3 Vacuum, build date unknown, using Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

Add enough liquid acid to drop your pH down to 7.2. Aerate your pool back up to 7.6 pH. Rinse and repeat. Your TA will drop nicely.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58 View Post
    Add enough liquid acid to drop your pH down to 7.2. Aerate your pool back up to 7.6 pH. Rinse and repeat. Your TA will drop nicely.
    You only need to do this if you are actively trying to lower the TA. In this case with a TA of 90ppm, I would just maintain the pH in the 7s and let the TA do as it will.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!