Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable Speed Pump Setup

1. Back To Top    #1

Variable Speed Pump Setup

I recently replaced my main pump motor with an Ecotech EZ variable speed motor, and would like to know how I can operate this through my Jandy RS and PDA remote controller. At present, I must adjust the speed manually (from the controller on the motor) if I want to switch from pool to spa mode. Does anyone have instructions on how to set this up?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Variable Speed Pump Setup

Welcome jrusher.

Unfortunately, these are the toughest questions for most us to answer. Hopefully you'll get some perspective, but I have Pentair. Wish I could help more, but do enjoy the forums.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I also have Pentair and do not know the answer to this for Jandy equipment. But, it should be something like this. Set preset 1 for pool speed you want and set preset 2 for spa speed you want on the pump. Then tell the Jandy controller to select pump speed 1 for pool and pump speed 2 for spa.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

The most common version of the Ecotech EZ variable speed does not allow external speed control at all. There is a version that works with a small add on to allow external control. If you have that version it works the way pooldv described, but if you have the standard version it is not possible.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone for your assistance. My motor does have an RS485 connection, but it is not connected to anything - would that be the problem?

6. Back To Top    #6

It sounds like you need an EcoTech EZ® Interface Adapter Kit. That plugs into the RS485 port and gives you connections that can be wired to relays in the automation system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Jason - that looks like the solution - I have one on order.