What brand of robots would you recommend?

Feb 17, 2015
Frisco, TX
My only thought is like Dave S. say, the polaris suction line in the wall of the pool is just one more place that could potentially spring a leak some time down the road.

Your friend who went throught two of them may not have had one of the better robots with a proven track record.

Robots have improved drastically in quality in the last few years and continue to do so. I have pretty good feeling that mine is gonna last a few years. But if I only get 3 out of it, I will be happy.

What brand of robots would you recommend? Thanks!

Hi Sliptool,

A lot of us here at TFP would recommend the Dolphin line of robots. They have a pretty good reputation.

Also, the Tiger line of robots by Hayward are highly thought of.

There are lots of options available on robots, and options mean $, so do some googling and get a good feel for whats available out there.

Of course any of us here will try to answer any specific questions that you might have.

What brand of robots would you recommend? Thanks!

Thank you Dave! I'm about to sign a contract with the PB but I was wondering if it was better to do a Robotic cleaning system or the pressure cleaning with a booster pump (Polaris 280). The size of the pool will be 18' x 36'.

Sliptool,
Everyones personal preference is different. The 280 is a good cleaner, but old technology.
the pump it requires is very loud, and it eats up electricity. The 280 has a bag that collects the stuff it sucks up and lots of folks find the bag messy to clean. But its does a good job of cleaning!

The Robots are dead silent. They run on 24V and use almost no electricity. I like that because it means I can run my robot a LOT, and not see my electric bill go up just because I want my pool clean. And most robots use pleated filters that are a breeze to clean.

Also one more item to mention. The 280 requires a dedicated pipe to the pool. And as lots of folks will attest to.. one more penetration in the pool wall for a pipe, is just one more potential place that a leak could occur somewhere down the road.

I just dont think you can go wrong with a good quality robot. My personal experience is with the Dolphin. I love the thing!

Thank you Dave! I'm about to sign a contract with the PB but I was wondering if it was better to do a Robotic cleaning system or the pressure cleaning with a booster pump (Polaris 280). The size of the pool will be 18' x 36'.

Thank you for the advise guys... but what about convience? My understanding is the 280 you just throw it in the pool and only take it out to clean it. Can you do the same thing with a Robot? Or do you have to put it away every time you use it? Also, do you need to clean the pool everyday in the summer? or since it cleans better than a 280 you dont use it everyday?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

The 280 can be left in the pool 24/7 and gets removed to clean it or go swimming. I would not leave a robot in the pool 24/7.

Each pool has its own characteristics for how often it needs to be cleaned. Some pools need cleaning every day, while others can go a long time before they need cleaning, it depends on how much stuff gets in to the pool.

A good robot will scrub the entire surface which will help reduce the need to brush the pool, while the 280 will require the pool to be brushed down weekly.

What's your pump run time? I like having the robotic cleaner. I've got a smart pool nitro, when it dies, I'm thinking of getting a Dolphin from Maytronics.
http://www.maytronics.com/robotic-pool-cleaners

They cost a little more but have gotten consistently good reviews.

I use my cleaner every few days. I just installed a pool cover so I'll use it a little less often. I have left it over night several times and it hasn't had any ill effects. The cleaner doesn't have any issues with the pool cover, so that's a plus. I posted a video of my pool cleaner in action on this link:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...Hour-run-time-movie-compressed-into-1-minute?

What's your pump run time? I like having the robotic cleaner. I've got a smart pool nitro, when it dies, I'm thinking of getting a Dolphin from Maytronics.
http://www.maytronics.com/robotic-pool-cleaners

They cost a little more but have gotten consistently good reviews.

I use my cleaner every few days. I just installed a pool cover so I'll use it a little less often. I have left it over night several times and it hasn't had any ill effects. The cleaner doesn't have any issues with the pool cover, so that's a plus. I posted a video of my pool cleaner in action on this link:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...Hour-run-time-movie-compressed-into-1-minute?

Thanks Bobo for the feedback. I actually dont have a pool just yet! I am about to sign the contract with the PB this week; however, I was trying to figure out if it would be better to do a Robot cleaning system and forgo the extra pump, plumbing and the Polaris 280.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I keep seeing how the booster and pressure cleaners eat up electricity. Can someone advise what the difference is roughly for an average pool? My choice is a pentair robot or the racer. At 7.5 cents a kwh is it really that significant of a difference?

Sliptool, just another vote for the robot. Have a Dolphin M4. It does a great job, easy to dump top-loader baskets, and theoretically can be left in pool if you want.

Ricky, can't speak to your question exactly but the beauty of a bot is that you can clean with pump off if you're trying to reduce pump time.

I keep seeing how the booster and pressure cleaners eat up electricity. Can someone advise what the difference is roughly for an average pool? My choice is a pentair robot or the racer. At 7.5 cents a kwh is it really that significant of a difference?

I don't know about this one, but most pressure side boosters are fed by and therefore require the main pump to be running.

This is another downfall of pressure cleaner/booster pump systems.

I'm guessing the $600 is fairly close to his cost of parts for the installation for the Polaris 280. The M5 is a top of the line cleaner and you can only get it through a local supplier, no internet sales. The M5 looks like it is about the retail price.

Oh wow, I bought mine last spring. Surely they haven't gone up that much! :shock:

Try West Tx Pools in Abeline Tx. They will ship it UPS to you. At that price, it would still be a good deal with shipping to AR. Mine was right at 1500 delivered last year.

- - - Updated - - -

So the booster pump requires the main pump to be running to operate a pressure cleaner?

Yes, they are fed by the main as there is no suction line from anywhere else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.