Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand of robots would you recommend?

1. Back To Top    #1

What brand of robots would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    My only thought is like Dave S. say, the polaris suction line in the wall of the pool is just one more place that could potentially spring a leak some time down the road.

Your friend who went throught two of them may not have had one of the better robots with a proven track record.

Robots have improved drastically in quality in the last few years and continue to do so. I have pretty good feeling that mine is gonna last a few years. But if I only get 3 out of it, I will be happy.

What brand of robots would you recommend? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What brand of robots would you recommend?

Hi Sliptool,

A lot of us here at TFP would recommend the Dolphin line of robots. They have a pretty good reputation.

Also, the Tiger line of robots by Hayward are highly thought of.

There are lots of options available on robots, and options mean $, so do some googling and get a good feel for whats available out there.

Of course any of us here will try to answer any specific questions that you might have.

Quote Originally Posted by sliptool View Post
    What brand of robots would you recommend? Thanks!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Dave! I'm about to sign a contract with the PB but I was wondering if it was better to do a Robotic cleaning system or the pressure cleaning with a booster pump (Polaris 280). The size of the pool will be 18' x 36'.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sliptool,
    Everyones personal preference is different. The 280 is a good cleaner, but old technology.
    the pump it requires is very loud, and it eats up electricity. The 280 has a bag that collects the stuff it sucks up and lots of folks find the bag messy to clean. But its does a good job of cleaning!

The Robots are dead silent. They run on 24V and use almost no electricity. I like that because it means I can run my robot a LOT, and not see my electric bill go up just because I want my pool clean. And most robots use pleated filters that are a breeze to clean.

Also one more item to mention. The 280 requires a dedicated pipe to the pool. And as lots of folks will attest to.. one more penetration in the pool wall for a pipe, is just one more potential place that a leak could occur somewhere down the road.

I just dont think you can go wrong with a good quality robot. My personal experience is with the Dolphin. I love the thing!

Thank you Dave! I'm about to sign a contract with the PB but I was wondering if it was better to do a Robotic cleaning system or the pressure cleaning with a booster pump (Polaris 280). The size of the pool will be 18' x 36'.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

I know I am a broken record on this one, but I say Robot every time. I would not want to be without mine.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for the advise guys... but what about convience? My understanding is the 280 you just throw it in the pool and only take it out to clean it. Can you do the same thing with a Robot? Or do you have to put it away every time you use it? Also, do you need to clean the pool everyday in the summer? or since it cleans better than a 280 you dont use it everyday?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

7. Back To Top    #7

The 280 can be left in the pool 24/7 and gets removed to clean it or go swimming. I would not leave a robot in the pool 24/7.

Each pool has its own characteristics for how often it needs to be cleaned. Some pools need cleaning every day, while others can go a long time before they need cleaning, it depends on how much stuff gets in to the pool.

A good robot will scrub the entire surface which will help reduce the need to brush the pool, while the 280 will require the pool to be brushed down weekly.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

What's your pump run time? I like having the robotic cleaner. I've got a smart pool nitro, when it dies, I'm thinking of getting a Dolphin from Maytronics.
    http://www.maytronics.com/robotic-pool-cleaners

They cost a little more but have gotten consistently good reviews.

I use my cleaner every few days. I just installed a pool cover so I'll use it a little less often. I have left it over night several times and it hasn't had any ill effects. The cleaner doesn't have any issues with the pool cover, so that's a plus. I posted a video of my pool cleaner in action on this link:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...into-1-minute?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    What's your pump run time? I like having the robotic cleaner. I've got a smart pool nitro, when it dies, I'm thinking of getting a Dolphin from Maytronics.
    http://www.maytronics.com/robotic-pool-cleaners

They cost a little more but have gotten consistently good reviews.

I use my cleaner every few days. I just installed a pool cover so I'll use it a little less often. I have left it over night several times and it hasn't had any ill effects. The cleaner doesn't have any issues with the pool cover, so that's a plus. I posted a video of my pool cleaner in action on this link:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...into-1-minute?
    Thanks Bobo for the feedback. I actually dont have a pool just yet! I am about to sign the contract with the PB this week; however, I was trying to figure out if it would be better to do a Robot cleaning system and forgo the extra pump, plumbing and the Polaris 280.

10. Back To Top    #10

I would forgo the extra pump and plumbing and get a robotic cleaner.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

I leave my robot in the pool all the time, I don't think dolphins are the best, but they win when you can buy parts for reasonable prices and install at home.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

12. Back To Top    #12

I keep seeing how the booster and pressure cleaners eat up electricity. Can someone advise what the difference is roughly for an average pool? My choice is a pentair robot or the racer. At 7.5 cents a kwh is it really that significant of a difference?
    18k gallon IG gunite/pebblesheen with 3ton moss rock waterfall, 8 ft 12" raised wall & rock accents , 42sq ft 12" raised spa w/ 6 jets & cascading stacked stone waterfall, 3HP Intellifo VS pump,
    420sq ft Pentair cartridge filter, 400,000 BTU Pentair Gas Heater, 1.5HP Whisperflo water feature pump, 1.5HP Silencer Spa Blower, 3 intellibrite lights, EZTouch System 8

13. Back To Top    #13

Sliptool, just another vote for the robot. Have a Dolphin M4. It does a great job, easy to dump top-loader baskets, and theoretically can be left in pool if you want.

Ricky, can't speak to your question exactly but the beauty of a bot is that you can clean with pump off if you're trying to reduce pump time.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by ricky12 View Post
    I keep seeing how the booster and pressure cleaners eat up electricity. Can someone advise what the difference is roughly for an average pool? My choice is a pentair robot or the racer. At 7.5 cents a kwh is it really that significant of a difference?
    I don't know about this one, but most pressure side boosters are fed by and therefore require the main pump to be running.

This is another downfall of pressure cleaner/booster pump systems.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

15. Back To Top    #15

So the booster pump requires the main pump to be running to operate a pressure cleaner?

16. Back To Top    #16

My PB is quoting me $1,450 for a Dolphin Supreme M5 and only giving me a credit of $600 for the Polaris 280 and Booster Pump. Good deal? Also, does the M5 have good reviews?

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm guessing the $600 is fairly close to his cost of parts for the installation for the Polaris 280. The M5 is a top of the line cleaner and you can only get it through a local supplier, no internet sales. The M5 looks like it is about the retail price.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

18. Back To Top    #18

My PB is quoting me $1,450 for a Dolphin Supreme M5 and only giving me a credit of $600 for the Polaris 280 and Booster Pump. Good deal? Also, does the M5 have good reviews?
    The M5 is my first choice. I called three pool stores in my area and they all are asking $1,800-2,000. If I could get one for $1,450 I would grab it.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

19. Back To Top    #19

Oh wow, I bought mine last spring. Surely they haven't gone up that much!

Try West Tx Pools in Abeline Tx. They will ship it UPS to you. At that price, it would still be a good deal with shipping to AR. Mine was right at 1500 delivered last year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ricky12 View Post
    So the booster pump requires the main pump to be running to operate a pressure cleaner?
    Yes, they are fed by the main as there is no suction line from anywhere else.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

20. Back To Top    #20

Thank you everyone for your feedback... I think I will go with the M5. Also, this review of the Dolphin Premier http://youtu.be/rOZMebaXztA helped me make my decision. I thought it would be nice to share it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast