Am I measuring FC correctly?? What does CC tell me?

LisaDLu

Nov 14, 2014
Palm Desert, CA
Hello - I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit. I'm not sure I'm following the instructions on the box correctly to test for FC. I'm filling comparator tube to 25ml. Adding (2) level dippers of R-0870 and swirling to dissolve. Color turns red. Then adding R-0871 by drop, swirling, counting until red sample turns colorless. Then multiplying the amount of drops by 0.2.

Today it took 32 drops for the sample to turn colorless. I multiplied 32 by 0.2 and got 0.64. I'm mathematically challenged so does this mean 6.4 ppm of FC?

I've not continued the test to calculate the CC. What is CC and why do I need that beyond testing for FC? Thank you!

Hello - I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit. I'm not sure I'm following the instructions on the box correctly to test for FC. I'm filling comparator tube to 25ml. Adding (2) level dippers of R-0870 and swirling to dissolve. Color turns red. Then adding R-0871 by drop, swirling, counting until red sample turns colorless. Then multiplying the amount of drops by 0.2.

Today it took 32 drops for the sample to turn colorless. I multiplied 32 by 0.2 and got 0.64. I'm mathematically challenged so does this mean 6.4 ppm of FC?

I've not continued the test to calculate the CC. What is CC and why do I need that beyond testing for FC? Thank you!
Combined Chlorine is sort of the half-used chlorine which is what you actually smell in a public pool when someone says, "Whoa! That chlorine smell is strong!" There is usually some, as there is a constant flow of organic matter, dead skin, snot, whatever in the water that the chlorine oxidizes. If it's below .5, we say it's fine. If it's above .5, there's a lot of stuff in the water and you need to take care of it. Incidentally, it's the CC that usually irritates your skin.

Use the 10 ml sample and multiply by .5. It's faster and uses fewer drops and is plenty accurate. Also, you may not need two full dippers of powder. My rule of theumb is if there's an undissolved granule or two left in the sample after mixing, it's enough. Somehow, those granules dissolve when the drops are added.

woody!! Stop that!

Lisa,
think of chlorine like this.
FC is the Good Guys
Algae and pathogens is the Bad Guys

It's the good guys always battling the bad guys.

As the battle ensues, inevitably, some of the Good Guys are not going to make it. The CC's tells who is winning the battle.

If the CC is .5 or less, then the good guys are winning
if the CC is more than .5, then the bad guys are winning and possibly some stronger reinforcements are needed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.