Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I measuring FC correctly?? What does CC tell me?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I measuring FC correctly?? What does CC tell me?

Hello - I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit. I'm not sure I'm following the instructions on the box correctly to test for FC. I'm filling comparator tube to 25ml. Adding (2) level dippers of R-0870 and swirling to dissolve. Color turns red. Then adding R-0871 by drop, swirling, counting until red sample turns colorless. Then multiplying the amount of drops by 0.2.

Today it took 32 drops for the sample to turn colorless. I multiplied 32 by 0.2 and got 0.64. I'm mathematically challenged so does this mean 6.4 ppm of FC?

I've not continued the test to calculate the CC. What is CC and why do I need that beyond testing for FC? Thank you!
    17,000 gallon inground pool; Plaster redone January 2015; Pentair Cartridge Filter; SWG; Age of pool unknown (house built in 1973); Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.; Doheny Discovery robot cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I measuring FC correctly?? What does CC tell me?

32 x 0.2 is 6.4 so that is correct. However, you can use 10 ml and multiply by 0.5 to save time and reagent.

See the link in my signature for a video.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by LisaDLu View Post
    Hello - I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit. I'm not sure I'm following the instructions on the box correctly to test for FC. I'm filling comparator tube to 25ml. Adding (2) level dippers of R-0870 and swirling to dissolve. Color turns red. Then adding R-0871 by drop, swirling, counting until red sample turns colorless. Then multiplying the amount of drops by 0.2.

Today it took 32 drops for the sample to turn colorless. I multiplied 32 by 0.2 and got 0.64. I'm mathematically challenged so does this mean 6.4 ppm of FC?

I've not continued the test to calculate the CC. What is CC and why do I need that beyond testing for FC? Thank you!
    Combined Chlorine is sort of the half-used chlorine which is what you actually smell in a public pool when someone says, "Whoa! That chlorine smell is strong!" There is usually some, as there is a constant flow of organic matter, dead skin, snot, whatever in the water that the chlorine oxidizes. If it's below .5, we say it's fine. If it's above .5, there's a lot of stuff in the water and you need to take care of it. Incidentally, it's the CC that usually irritates your skin.

Use the 10 ml sample and multiply by .5. It's faster and uses fewer drops and is plenty accurate. Also, you may not need two full dippers of powder. My rule of theumb is if there's an undissolved granule or two left in the sample after mixing, it's enough. Somehow, those granules dissolve when the drops are added.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Lisa,

Just to mention, when you do the CC test, do it right away after measuring FC. If you take too long, then the FC test you just did will turn a little bit pink again.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

CC is also a compound formed when chlorine combines with ammonia....and we all know where that comes from!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Post your new results when you do them!

7. Back To Top    #7

woody!! Stop that!

Lisa,
    think of chlorine like this.
    FC is the Good Guys
    Algae and pathogens is the Bad Guys

It's the good guys always battling the bad guys.

As the battle ensues, inevitably, some of the Good Guys are not going to make it. The CC's tells who is winning the battle.

If the CC is .5 or less, then the good guys are winning
    if the CC is more than .5, then the bad guys are winning and possibly some stronger reinforcements are needed
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

I did the CC test yesterday and it was 0. Guess my good guys are winning... for now!
    17,000 gallon inground pool; Plaster redone January 2015; Pentair Cartridge Filter; SWG; Age of pool unknown (house built in 1973); Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.; Doheny Discovery robot cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

yeah baby!

Quote Originally Posted by LisaDLu View Post
    I did the CC test yesterday and it was 0. Guess my good guys are winning... for now!
    Divin Dave,