Upgrading from Whisperflo to Intelliflo - need electrical advise

TexP51

Mar 3, 2015
Richmond, Tx
I have a 26K gallon salt water pool that is 6 years old run by a EasyTouch 8 automation system. I'd like some help in understanding the wiring of an upgrade I'm doing.

I have (1) 2 1/2hp Whisperflo for the main pump, 2nd 1hp Whisperflo pump for waterfall, and Polaris 3/4hp booster for the pool cleaner. I replaced the 2 1/2 hp motor last summer, and the 1hp is now making noise. I've been tracking my electricity and it is crazy high usage in KW when the pool pump comes on its regular cycle or during freeze cycles, so I purchased a Intelliflo pump to replace the main pump, and since we rarely use the water feature, I'll move the good 2 1/2hp whisperflo over to the water feature.

I understand that the Intelliflo needs to be direct wired, versus through the easytouch pump relay the current Whisperflo is currently powered from. I have the data cable that will 'switch' the Intelliflo from the Easytouch panel. For the direct 220v power source, could I expect to find a 220v circuit for the Intelliflo that I could use inside the easytouch main? Do I have to run a new conduit/line all the way to the home breaker box? Seems like the easytouch already has 220v coming in, and I'd like to get the pump power from that circuit. My easytouch is located opposite side of the house from the homes breaker boxes.

Anyone done this mod and have any insight?

Should be easy, but not everyone wires things up exactly the same way, so I have a couple of questions. Can you take a pic of the Easy Touch circuit breaker area, or list the breakers that are currently there. I specifically want to know if each of your current pumps have individual circuit breakers inside the Easy Touch, what type (GFI or not) and what amperage they are.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you for the reply, JasonLion. My question is really that I'm expecting when I install this weekend that I will disconnect the main pump's conduit/wire from the load side of the Easytouch pump relay, and where exactly should that end connection be moved to get constant power? I'm hoping there is a 220v source inside the Easytouch cabinet that is coming from my home breaker box. I have wore out the Internet looking for a Pentair diagram of the actual power connections - pump install, Easytouch install, etc. hoping to find someone here who has done this actual transition from Whisperflo to Intelliflo.

Jimrahbe - I'm out of town so I don't have pics available on me. I seem to remember That all of my pumps are on relays inside of the Easytouch cabinet. I apologize as I'm trying to explain all of his from memory.

I was hoping that there was a standard 220v main breaker inside the Easytouch cabinet. This will be my weekend project. Along with the Intelliflo, also installing a Waterco Multicyclone 16 to the main pump system, replacing the Polaris booster with high-efficiency Pentair Boost-Rite, and a new Kreep Krawly Platinum.

The relay has both supply side wires and load side wires. You want to move the load side wires to the circuit breaker that is connected to the supply side wires. the relay will no longer be used. Instaed you wire directly to the circuit breaker that used to control your old pump.

Thank you all for your replies and info.

Thought I'd give some feedback from installing a new Intelliflo VS pump, Polaris booster LA-MS05 pump, Waterco Multicyclone 16 pre-filter, installed new Kreepy Krawley Platinum for broken cleaner, and relocated my 2hp Whisperflow with recent motor over to my waterfall pump position. My waterfall pump had failed, and doing this myself the Waterco was $400, Intelliflo $879, KK cleaner $399, and booster was $259.
- Purchasing quick disconnects made the job a bit more involved, but I do think that image.jpgservicing the pumps in the future will be easier
- I did the QD on the Intelliflo and Whisperflo, and did hose connects on the booster.
- have to be careful from over tightening the QD- snug works just fine
- the new Polaris booster is very small, close to have the size of the Pentair PB4 it replaced, but so far very quiet. It's 1.1hp vs 3/4hp, but very energy efficientimage.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg
- I track my home daily electricity usage and the pool system is functioning more than 50% less in KWh, going from a total home usage per hour of 2.4kwh to 1.1kwh same time same pool components running. In the pump long cycle 14hrs the pump is using 0.3kwh
- only challenge I have is my Easytouch system only offers 4 Intelliflo cycles, versus the 8 options I was expecting.

UIC: 1.060
UOC: 2.010
This is the software my Easytouch system has installed if this can help answer my Intelliflo options of only 4 versus 8. Emailed Pentair and they say I need to replace my inside wired Easytouch 8 controller ($275 online) to fix the issue, but I'm not convinced they understand the issue. The local PB who originally did the pool install says they need to replace main boards and charge for a system upgrade. Never easy is it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again for the interest and info JasonLion!
I'm just trying to have 8 speed options, and currently my Easytouch when I go to 'SETTINGS' shows a 'INTELLIFLO 4' option for setting speeds, and allows 4 speed options 1/4 - 4/4. If I put the Easytouch in SERVICE mode, the Intelliflo (on-board the motor) display shows up to 8 speed options in its options. I'm getting by fine with 4, but just trying to have full use.

Another subject- the Waterco Multicyclone 16 works fantastic! It is amazing the amount of sediment it traps. I'm really hoping it saves cleaning my cartridge filter from 4 to 2x per year.

I can't think of any situation where you would need 8 speed options. Nor is there any reason the way EasyTouch deals with speeds and the way IntelliFlo deals with speeds should have anything to do with each other. They did change the labeling and some other minor details in the speed setup in a more recent version of the EasyTouch, but there isn't any point in spending money for the upgrade just to get the new labeling.

The desire for the new/updated software is not for just the 8 speed options, but to also provide the ability to possibly control a 2nd Intelliflo someday. Easytouch can support two pumps, but my Easytouch version (UOC 2.010 / UIC 1.060)only offers (1) Intelliflo 4 option, where the newer software allows assigning speeds for a Pump#1 and a Pump #2. I can't currently see the dual pump selector option.

Pentair emailed back today to say I just need the outside board flashed - no new equipment. I then spoke to the Pentair recommended local Houston dealer, who said I needed $100 service fee+ $150 labor+ $459 inside wired Easytouch panel software update with another $150 labor. Notin this lifetime.

When I explained I can buy the inside unit complete for under $300 they said I must be buying bootleg Pentair items on-line. This of course was relayed through the service scheduling receptionist because the service tech, sitting next to her who I could hear, didn't have time to speak directly to me, just through her to me. Athey also added that only the head tech could do updates and it "needed to be worthy of his time." The Pentair equipment is nice, but I'm two for two on service providers that are pretty weak at customer service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.