How is your 2 speed pump set up?

robdac

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2014
Weston, FL
I have an older Whisperflo 2 speed pump on my "new to me" pool. It currently runs on low continuously (24/7/365!!!) and switches to high on an Intermatic timer for whatever time period I set. Currently about a 2 hours a day. This seems incredibly inefficient and wasteful. My rough calculations say that if the pump ran on low for 18 hours a day I'd still get 4 turnovers per day. Some might say that would still be excessive.

Also, the SWCG is wired so that it is only powered when the pump is on high. I expect that the flow rate on low will be more than sufficient trip the SWCG flow switch regardless of how much debris is in the filter. Low seems to be in the range of 40 gallons per minute. I don't see a reason to run the pump on high every day. I also don't see a reason to run the pump on low 24 hours a day.

The pool heater currently runs just fine on low flow and shuts down automatically when there is no flow. I don't expect any issues there.

The thought is to rewire the unit to operate on low off the Intermatic timer and wire the SWCG so it operates when the pump is on low as well. I'll then back the SWCG production percentage way off. Before I get too involved with the wiring I will first rewire the SWCG to verify it will function properly on the low pump setting. High will then be on a manually timed knob for vacuuming, adding chemicals, etc.

How is yours wired and when does it operate? Thoughts, ideas, and opinions are appreciated.

The usual approach is to run the pump on low 4 to 6 hours a day, and only use high speed for specific things like backwashing filters, manual vacuuming, etc. If you have a pool cleaner powered by the main pump or a solar system things get a little more complex.

I just switched from a single speed pump to a 2 speed so what I do may not be right either...

I only have a single timer. This controls the pump on/off so I wired in a manual switch to switch from high to low. I have the timer set to run for 8 hours per day (carry over from my single speed, may change this) and I keep the switch set to low. If I want to run my baracuda cleaner or sprayers, I manually switch to high speed. My pool is screened so debris is minimal. I also do not have a heater or swg.

The thought is to rewire the unit to operate on low off the Intermatic timer and wire the SWCG so it operates when the pump is on low as well. I'll then back the SWCG production percentage way off. Before I get too involved with the wiring I will first rewire the SWCG to verify it will function properly on the low pump setting. High will then be on a manually timed knob for vacuuming, adding chemicals, etc.

How is yours wired and when does it operate? Thoughts, ideas, and opinions are appreciated.
That is what I would do and I would reduce the run time to 6 hours and adjust the SWG % as required.

I have an Intermatic T10604R timer and switch to control my equipment. I got this so I didn't have to manually switch speeds for my solar. I have it timed so the pump starts on high speed and the solar turns on most days while the pump is on high speed. It stays on high for an hour and then backs down to slow speed for the rest of the day. I originally had a manual switch for the speeds which worked fine until I installed the solar.

I have a 3/4 HP 2-speed 115V motor with a manual switch for hi/low operations. It connected to a Intermatic T101 timer. I run mostly on low. On High if I need to use the pool heater or to check the filter pressure. During the winter as few as 5 hours and during the summer about 10 or so.

I have a controller (AquaLogic) and run my two speed on high for an hour and 3 hours on low speed. High speed in the summer is for solar and in the winter it is for skimmer and the cleaner.

The wiring diagram for my pump motor shows a common line to post 1, post 2 as high speed, and post 3 or 4 as low speed. Does this mean that when it switches from low to high speed post 3 or 4 is depowered as post 2 becomes powered? In other words, posts 2 and 3 (or 4) are never both powered at the same time?

Thanks! Borrowing the experience on this forum is making things a lot easier for me.

Update: It's now rewired as mentioned above. The SWCG and heat pump both have more than adequate flow to operate on low. High is now reserved from the pool vac, checking filter pressure, and pump priming only via remote manual switching. Florida Power and Light is in for a big disappointment next month.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.