Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Suction at Skimmer and Zero Pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

No Suction at Skimmer and Zero Pressure

I am new at caring for a pool. On the advice of the pool guy, I put in a bottle of clarifier on Saturday. Now, I do not have suction at the skimmer, and there is no pressure. It also looks as if there is no water going through the basket at the pump. I tried to backwash, and nothing came out. Your help is appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No Suction at Skimmer and Zero Pressure

Welcome to TFP!!!

Step 1: Stop talking to "pools guys" and "pool stores"

Step 2: Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Step 3: Supply more info. Do you have a push-pull backwash valve or a multi-valve? How did you add the clarifier? Did you move any valves? Did the pressure gauge on the filter used to work?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what jblizzle said.

I assume you added clarifier because of a water quality problem, right?

How does your water look? Got a pic?

When was the last time you cleaned the filter......is it sand or DE?

We can get it fixed for you but give us more info.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

I'm assuming the pump makes noise, meaning the motor is turning? Before it died, did you vacuum up masses of leaves or pine needles? Did you clean out the basket by the pump? What you're describing is usually (not always) a clogged suction line, a clogged pump impeller, or a major air leak on the suction side. pine needles in particular slip through the basket and can gum up the blades in the pump impeller. so it spins, but it doesn't move any water. Imagine a household fan with no space between the blades - it's spinning but there isn't anything flowing through. Big wads of leaves can also clog pipes, especially at elbows. And a cracked or split seal on the pump strainer basket lid is probably the number one cause of air leaks and poor performance.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

pool.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Step 3: Supply more info. Do you have a push-pull backwash valve or a multi-valve? How did you add the clarifier? Did you move any valves? Did the pressure gauge on the filter used to work?
    I have a push-pull backwash valve. I added clarifier by pouring it into the skimmer. I do not have any understanding of the valves. They are unmarked. The pressure gauge did work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    +1 what jblizzle said.

I assume you added clarifier because of a water quality problem, right?

How does your water look? Got a pic?

When was the last time you cleaned the filter......is it sand or DE?

We can get it fixed for you but give us more info.
    I will get a picture posted. The water is clouded. Leslie's test from the 27th indicated high CH CYA TDS and Phosphates, and recommended draining.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Welcome!

I'm assuming the pump makes noise, meaning the motor is turning? Before it died, did you vacuum up masses of leaves or pine needles? Did you clean out the basket by the pump? What you're describing is usually (not always) a clogged suction line, a clogged pump impeller, or a major air leak on the suction side. pine needles in particular slip through the basket and can gum up the blades in the pump impeller. so it spins, but it doesn't move any water. Imagine a household fan with no space between the blades - it's spinning but there isn't anything flowing through. Big wads of leaves can also clog pipes, especially at elbows. And a cracked or split seal on the pump strainer basket lid is probably the number one cause of air leaks and poor performance.
    The pump is making noise. I have been cleaning out the pool in the last week, and emptying baskets two or three times a day. We are new in this house. There is a tree hanging over the pool. Everything was working until Sunday morning.
    Last edited by rozan; 03-03-2015 at 05:58 PM. Reason: add photo
    Probably >22k gal, IG Plaster, Triton sand filter, Unknown Brand-Model P2R , Kreepy Krauly

6. Back To Top    #6

Do not do anything based on pool store testing ... it is horrendous and generally results in you spending more money than you need to. If you want to take control, invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and keep reading here to learn. The only time I step in those stores is to buy muriatic acid which seems to be a generally good deal.

Post up a picture of your equipment pad and lets check the valves.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I ordered a pool test kit last week, thanks. Here are the valves:

pumpandvalves.jpg
    Probably >22k gal, IG Plaster, Triton sand filter, Unknown Brand-Model P2R , Kreepy Krauly

8. Back To Top    #8

I assume you have disconnected the suction cleaner and tried to run through the skimmer (with the basket in place).
    Have you checked if the pump basket is full or clogged?
    Did any water come out when you backwashed?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I assume you have disconnected the suction cleaner and tried to run through the skimmer (with the basket in place).
    Have you checked if the pump basket is full or clogged?
    Did any water come out when you backwashed?
    There is no suction without the vacuum attached. I checked the pump basket and it is clean. No water comes out when I try to backwash. (It used to.)

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds like you have clogged up the suction line between the skimmer and the pump or the impeller is clogged up.

I would pull the pump apart at the silver band and inspect the impeller. If clear, then you should try to run water backward from the pump toward the skimmer to see if something gets dislodged.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I was quite surprised to find the owner at the door this evening inquiring about the pool. He had a friend call and tell him there was a problem - he saw it here. There was air in the line. It is working now. Thanks.

12. Back To Top    #12

Oh, good to hear! Welcome to TFP, and let us know how it goes.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem