12V vs 120V color LED pool light

Feb 27, 2015
Los Angeles CA
I'm in the process of changing my pool light and was hoping for some input regarding 12V vs 120V pool lights. More specifically, I am curious regarding the brightness of the 12V vs 120V Pentair Intellibright 5G color LED pool light. Any suggestions of better/brighter color pool LED lights would also be great. Thanks!

I repeat. What do you currently have? If you already have a 12V transformer, then you could go either way pretty easily. But if you had 120V, I am not sure I would want to buy a 12V transformer.

Sorry, I misunderstood. It's currently a Pentair 120V light with a 300watt incandescent bulb. I do not have a 12V transformer, but do not mind spending the extra money to purchase the transformer and possibly more expensive pool light. I have read the debates whether 12V pool lights are actually safer than 120V lights, but I'd rather err on the side of caution and go with 12V as long as it's not more dangerous than 120V.

If the 120V light is supplied through a GFCI, then it is perfectly safe. The 12V is also safe if the appropriate transformers are used.

One thing about the newer LED fixtures is that if something goes wrong, you can not just change a bulb. You have to replace the entire fixture and pull new wire.

The 12 volt and 120 volt versions of the Intellibright 5G have the same brightness as each other.

The white only LED lights are much brighter than the color LEDs. I haven't seen a color changing LED light that can match the brightness of a traditional bulb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.